A&P A tutorial on photo organization PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by nicklk, Nov 25, 2006.

1. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Alrighty.......sooooo I picked up two additional 2GB cards today from Frys.com, this means I plan on shooting RAW 24/7....

Soooo I have a few questions for people that shoot RAW all the time........do you keep every photo in the RAW format???

So far when I shoot raw, I keep all the raw's as well as high res JPEGs, put them in a folder, then duplicated all the JPG's and resize those for web usage, etc.......but if I make changes to one of the resized JPG's I dont get that change on the master or the RAW.....

How do you guys save your RAW photos, and post processiong saves?? One folder, then a subfolder with all the changes, etc???

Thanks!

2. mojito

mojito New Member

pretty much

if it goes to print, its a tiff, if its for web, then a jpeg. I don't keep high res jpegs from raw, thats just redundant.

Adobe Lightroom can in theory really help you with workflow. Just export the RAWs you want when you need them.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Well, the RAW thing is all kind of new to me too. Although I will say that in the thousands of pics I've taken with my 707, I have kept all but those which were out of focus or the exposure was way off. (That is, burned to CD/DVD and filed.) Then if I do a lot of editing I usually save a PSD with all the layers in addition to the JPEG.

I expect with the Canon I'll shoot RAW+JPEG, again delete everything that's OoF or otherwise crap. I'll probably keep all JPEGs for snapshots & delete teh RAWs, and conversely for "photographs" I'll probably keep the RAWs plus PSDs when I've done extensive editing thereof. :dunno:

Does that make sense?

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

like viper said. a good photographic program can help you here..

Lightroom, Aperture (possbily bridge & DPP, never really used them) work with RAW files, they automatically apply your adjustments to the raw file without destroying the master image. When you save for web you simply choose the files and export them to JPGs at the resolution you want, upload them and then delete them, keeping the raw file intact.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Whats also handy is the ability to organise your photos into projects etc without needing to shuffle the files by hand.

6. postman

postman OCfashioncore

cull shitty out of focus and blurred ones..

that takes away 90% of them.. convert the rest.. ending up with only 3 photo's you actually like.

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you need to learn how to use your camera.

8. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

9. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

I only shoot raw if its a paid shoot, or in hard lighting conditions, Otherwise I don't see a point :dunno:

10. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

you never know when that ultimate pic happens that you can get paid with later.

11. Airpoppoff

I understand what you mean about that, but its not that hard to shoot in Jpeg under proper lighting conditions, where raw just really doesent benefit me. :dunno:

12. mojito

mojito New Member

yeah, it depends. Having Lightroom presets are great, I think they look much better than a proccessed jpeg. For some work jpeg is fine, especially if you have to do on site printing or on the spot slideshows etc

13. Airpoppoff

I havint had the time to work with lightroom yet :(

14. postman

postman OCfashioncore

yeah,, it was tongue in cheek.. but I am still at the bottom end of the learning curve.