A Theoretical Car Audio Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Ok lets say a person has a full set up

Head unit

2-way components up front powered by a 2-channel amplifier

Rear speakers powered by a 2-channel amplifier

And 1 subwoofer powered by a mono channel amplifier.

The person feels as if their mid bass region is lacking, could they add in something like 8 or 6 inch sub(s) and then just tweak the cross over networks so the original sub isnt hitting into the smaller subs region and the new subs are taking the remaining frequencies up to whatever. Then adjust the volumes for the amplifiers so there isnt peaks in volumes so the freq bands more 'roll' into each other.

What are your thoughts on something like this and what would be required to put something like this into place? And rate the diffulculty level of something like this.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
  2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you could, but it may be easier to tweak the xovers on the existing speakers. one thing that could help is putting an enclosure behind the comp woofers instead of having them play free air. or behind the rear speakers. a 3 way component set may also be a resolution. i think tweaking existing componentry is easier than trying to introduce new components first

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

then say a person has a 3-way system and then they want to double up the bigger driver for beefierness :dunno:

ie they have a 8-inch, a 4-inch and a 1-inch

could they add in twin 8s to work with the already existant ones?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
  4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

so you would want to have a setup with 3 8's, or make it a pseudo 4 way (twin 8's, 4 and 1 per ch)? seems like that would be almost over kill, but i don't think it would be a problem. something like that, you might consider a custom passive xover network vs using a "stock" 3 way crossover. or possibly an active xover, such as an audiocontrol piece (i'm thinking the DQX for some reason) and running it thru seperate amps with no xover or eq settings turned on in the amp. if you go with the passive setup, you could use a really beefy 2 ch amp to power said setup.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

what i got out of it is u could have a 3-way cross over, have ur 8-inch signal just splitting into two amps, so u could have a 2-channel driving 2 8s, and have an identical amp driving the second pair and just mimic the settings?

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

provided you are using an active xover, then yes. and actually, you could adjust the gains on the amps seperatly, meaning you can either level match the speakers, or you could have the 8's louder or 4/1 combo louder (yeah i know that gain settings aren't volume controls, but you follow my drift i'm assuming)

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

alright, thanks for the help, its been a question at the back of my mind for awhile

8. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

one thing i found in my sunfire was if i monoed my midbasses, the kick drum was more pronounced than if it was stereo like the rest... though it did not work out the same in my impala.