A tale of two hard drives

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ebtromba, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

Currently my laptop is my dream computer. Everything is perfect- all the programs I need are configured exactly the way I want them, and everything runs so smoothly.

And like all computer users, I have bad dreams of the unthinkable happening…hard drive crashes, theft, accidents…that shit keeps me up at night.

I wish to back everything up by cloning the laptop’s hard drive to an external usb hard drive, and then making that external hdd bootable.

Is it even possible to boot from an external hdd? I have Norton Ghost, and Partition magic to resize everything.

To do what I want to do, should I use Ghost’s “create a backup image of the hard drive” function, or the ‘copy one drive to another’ function?? And then how do I make what I copied bootable?? (I do know how to manipulate the BIOS boot order however)

Many a thanks.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you would use ghost to "copy one drive to another". Ghost will automagically copy the MBR, so no worries there... you would just need to set the USB HDD to boot from BIOS and marvel at the slowness that USB can give us.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I prefer the DVD option myself. Docs and the like can be just copied to the USB drive for backup purposes.

Definately try out the ability to boot from the USB HD though - not all systems support it.

4. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

so I should do the drive image? thanks.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can't boot Windows NT from a USB hard drive; Windows NT resets the USB controller during bootup, and if it's loading itself off a USB disk it will (understandably) suddenly not be able to find the disk it's installed on anymore.

That said, you can always use something like Norton Ghost to clone your hard drive to another laptop hard drive (inside a USB case) and simply swap out the built-in drive with the spare drive should something bad happen down the road.