FRK A Social Experiment One Might Say

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Bubba Atlantis, May 18, 2008.

?

Would you combine your money with your significant other?

1. My money is my money! I would never combine my finances with another person

23 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. I would combine if married

95 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. I would combine if in a committed, long term relationship

36 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. I've never thought about it before

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. Bubba Atlantis

Bubba Atlantis New Member

I thought I would conduct a bit of a social experiment here. There is currently a thread on finances in Vag, of which I find rather interesting. I have a hypothesis that the feelings towards joining finances would be different in regulars of FS in comparison to Vag. I have my reasons for this belief, which I might get into after some people have posted.

So, I pose the question to you as it is worded in Vag

"What would be the point at which you would begin to combine your finances with your significant other?"

If you could also state what geographical area you are located in as well (as accurate as you feel comfortable with) with your responses, that would be greatly appreciated.

2. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

hey bub, thanks for passing this along! And to clarify my original intentions which were a tad misconstrued in the wording of my question, you DO NOT HAVE TO COMBINE EVERYTHING TO QUALIFY. It is just some portion of your assets, having any kind of combination of separate and joint accounts. So perhaps in your replies just note the extent to which you would be combined.

I would like to have a joint account now (committed LTR) to cover expenses that are for both of us. When we get married, most of our money will go into joint accounts but we will also maintain our own.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I could have a separate joint account, but not combine everything. We would equally share the money though.

If we decide to buy a house or a car, it's got to be in one or the others name, not both. This is to protect us from lawsuits. In the US everything you own isn't automatically lumped together. A doctor who loses a malpractice lawsuit will not lose his house if it's in his wife's name. I'm wary of this because I have run a few of my own businesses, where I have very limited protection. Also, if for some reason one you have to declare bankruptcy, it will only affect one partner, so the other can still buy a house or car in their name.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  4. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

current location: california
    moving soon to: NRW, germany

I would combine if married. My boyfriend and I will be sharing expenses when we move in together eventually, but we will keep our money separate. I think having a separate joint account could be considered later on if things go well, but it's still early for us to be doing that. First we need to see how well we live together

5. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

Marriage only.

6. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I would combine if married.

This does not include stocks and bonds.

I would also likely have an account on the side. The joint for the bills and family things and the personal as a safety net/fun fund. My side accound would likely be in stocks and bonds that in the prenuptial agreement would be stated are not up for grabs if a separation were to occur.

I assume some would ask about the stocks and bonds. My family on my father side has instilled this in our fam for a while. After my mother left my father we started speaking of these things. Unfortunately for him such values were not prominent before he was married. He has since passed them onto me in which I wholly believe in them.

It takes a lot of the risk of being married for money (which unfortunately seems to have become much more prevalent in recent years) out of the equation. If the significant other argues with the pre-nupt in my mind it would give me a reason not to trust them.

If I am married to them they would be reaping the same benefits from it as I am. Its not like they would be left out and I would drive a Mercedes and them a Hyundai etc..

I believe marrage is about unity, trust, love, etc... Money should not be a factor.

By all means if someone has a question or disagreement about my theory please speak up.

7. Eigervue

Eigervue New Member

might as well combine in marriage, maybe keep some things seperate but really living in california id get fucked in a divorce either way

8. Eigervue

Eigervue New Member

i'm on the fence about prenups, on the one hand guys get burned bad in divorces because of sexist laws but on the other I would never marry someone I didnt trust with my money if you're already planning for what happens if it doesnt work you probably shouldnt be getting married

would be an interesting statistic to see the % of failed marriages with prenups vs. without

9. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

Its not that I would be goin in expecting it to fail. You don't buckle your seatbelt expecting to crash.

10. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

If we answered in the other, do you mind if we answer here?

11. DvBoard

DvBoard New Member

I like the idea of seperate and joint accounts for when living together/getting married. The joint account would cover items like bills, house payment, food, etc.. A prenup would prbly be in place that says seperate is seperate no matter, but joint would be split. Not that i would marry someone
    i don't trust, i've just seen too many people get burned.

12. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i have not found a woman that i'd want to marry, that i'd trust enough to combine money... i say share the bills, but keep the money seperate... one day i'd like that to change, i just can't find the woman to change it yet...
    i get this veiwpoint from friends failed marriages, and my failed relationships... that way the only thing you're fighting over is belongings, and that's obivous as to who should get what most times.

13. Bubba Atlantis

I was trying to get a different cohort, but many people venture both forums and thus have replied to both, so feel free to reply :)

14. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

Cool. I feel more comfortable here than there So Im glad to answer here as well. Im in Georgia, though Ive only lived here for 6 years. Transplanted from N. Idaho.

What I said over there...

My husband and I combine our money. He works an outside job, I work from home. He makes more than I do. We agreed that until our son is in school, I would stay home with him, as neither of us like the idea of day care.

He refuses to carry a debit card, so I am the only one that has one. His is put away in case he changes his mind. He doesnt want to because he is horrible with money, and I am good with it. (and trust me he is horrible) So I pay the bills from the account, I buy groceries, I get what is needed for the home (standard household items). I make the every day purchases.

I do not purchase anything large unless we have discussed it first, and we agree that we need it. We dont make a lot of money, therefore most large purchases are talked about for a while before they are ever made.

I always make sure he has cash in his wallet. I dont ask where it goes to if he says he needs more. I spend from the account, as I like to keep track of everything. The account register is open to him at any time he wants to see it.

We are each other beneficiaries on everything financial, 75%. Our son is the other 25%.

This works for us. We both understand that in the event of a divorce or break up it would make things harder, but we refuse to loves our lives assuming we are going to break up one day. Who wants that hanging over our shoulders? All he would have to do is walk into his HR office and stop direct deposit and he has his paychecks. *shrugs*

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  15. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

So the FS forum has now been reduced from Freakypics of OTers and personal accounts of hot stories to.....this shitty material?

And this thread made by a FS regular nonetheless?

[​IMG]

R.I.P. Freakyshiat. :(

16. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

1) there is absolutely no reason to combine finances.
    2) there is absolutely no reason for this thread in FS. :mamoru:

17. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I think I see what you're getting at bubba, do we FSers having a unusually high level of trust and communication with our SO's extend that trust into other facets of our lives. IE finances.

So I will answer this

Corpus Christi Texas

my income - 40,000 a year
    SO income - 30,000 year

If we ever get married I will insist apon speerate accounts and a joint account for household purchases. This has nothing to do with my level of trust with her IMO

I think its just easier to maintain a seperate account for your own personal expences

Mortgage, insurance, food, bills, tv, etc etc would come out of a joint account

While her make up, clothes, shoes, hobbies, car payment etc would come out of her account

And my hot rod, guns, ammo, clothes boots etc would come out of my account

This way I don't need to discuss anything if I decide I want to buy a motorcycle, or a turbo etc.

As long as our monthly contribution to the house account is met and we are not struggling we can do whatever with our money

18. UrbanKnight

UrbanKnight Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun

Wife and I did not combine until we were married. After marriage, it is all one account.. It also combined all of our debt, good, bad and indifferent...

Now, we are heading for our 10th year of marriage, and we each ahve our own "play" accounts... Mine covers things related to the car I am building, and other "toys", hers for her projects. She is welcome to spend whatever we have (of course, she is EXTREMELY tight with money, so I guess this is open for that reason.

I could spend and shop till I ran it dry, but I am smart enough not to, but I am riskier than her when it comes to finances.

Up until the last few years, I made 3x her salary, and it never mattered to me about the account status. Now we are closer to each others salary, and it still doesn't matter....

*edit- Daytona Beach, FL.. And yes, I agree with what I think you will find in FS, open communication and alot more trust amongst FS'rs than "normal" folks, thus probably more combined...
    UK

19. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

there is never a reason to combine finances. my parents held separate accounts and they had a shared savings that they both contributed to for my brother and i but neither drew from untill my mother got diagnosed with cancer and we needed the extra money.

All you bitches know where we are in Fla.

Further, Tigre and I live together, share bills, I have things i pay for, he has parts of our expenses he pays for. My money is mine. His is his. do we help each other? Yes, when need be, but We share no accounts nor do we plan to. if ever we get dumb enough to procreate or get married, we'll still have our own separate finances, we'll just split paying for things like we do now :dunno: no reason to fuck a good thing up.
    Also, we've already talked about PreNups and we're in. no reason not to have it, especially withthe financial situation of his family and his side of things. it's got to protect him if ever i get stupid and greedy. Same as it'd protect me and mine if the same happens to him.

no reason at all either for this thread in here unless you want to talk about it in the sense of financial submissiona nd domination that some people do as part of their slave agreements withtheir masters in Crazy 24/7 Ds situations.

20. Bubba Atlantis

So close it :dunno:

Besides, looking at the distribution of the answers, it would appear that my hypothesis was incorrect.

21. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

hahahah you think how people get with their money (ie to combine or not) has any correlation with what their sexual tastes are? Plus, a fair bit of people moonlight in the Vag and post in here.

22. Bubba Atlantis

Yup pretty much. To be into non-mainstream sexual activities means that you tend to stray from normal patriarchal norms of beliefs. Therefore, I was curious to see whether the open-minded nature of the individuals in this forum would lead to a greater proportion of individuals seeing combining finance differently. Moreover, those who still had the same, general, views as some in VAG, would their reasoning seem more logical than 'I don't want a gold digger' or 'I earned it, so it is mine and no one is going to stop me from spending it!' I gathered that the types of relationships present in FS would result in people straying away from that mindset.

23. Bubba Atlantis

Yeah I know....I was tempted to put on 'see who voted for what' to exclude those from VAG and include only the regular FS members, but I felt that would be inappropriate, so I left it off and knew that there would be confounds

24. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

i'll give this thread until tomorrow.

25. Bubba Atlantis

Oh yeah and the reason I was curious about locale is I was wondering if your location played a role in your beliefs. That is, do you come from a conservative country or an old-fashioned state, etc.