GUN A short post about why Tricjion > * By: HossB7

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paul Revere, May 5, 2008.

1. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

To save time, ammunition and to ensure your rounds are on target prior to moving to 100 meters, Trijicon recommends the ACOG receives
    a preliminary "battle sight zero" at 25 meters. To apply this initial zero, the tip of the 300 meter vertical post is used as the point of aim/point
    of impact (POA/POI) see figure 7

[​IMG]

The reticle pattern for the 3x30 ACOG is carefully designed so that the user does not need to make adjustments to the windage or
    elevation adjusters between shots at different distances. Because this ranging capability is built into the reticle pattern and because
    it is parallax free along its vertical axis, the 3x30 is accurate out to 600 meters.

[​IMG]

To utilize the reticle so that it is accurate out to 600 meters, the chevron tip is used as the point of aim and is zeroed at 100 meters.
    Figure 8 shows the aim for a silhouette target at ranges from 100 to 600 meters. the widths of the horizontal hash marks on
    the bullet drop compensator reticle in the TA33 ACOG corresponds to the average width of a mans shoulder (19 inches) at that range.

:bowdown:

[​IMG]

cliffs: my ACOG > you

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Nice Epic, Homer.

3. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

God I need one. I just feel that putting it in a Bushy M4 doesn't do it justice.

4. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Pretty cool shit. Unsure if I'd prefer that over an EOTech 557 with a 4x FTS magnifier though. Having both short and long range in the same line of sight seems like a better way of doing things.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

change that to aimpoint with a 3x magnifier and i'd agree.

6. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

In summation... Trijicon > your spelling.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

oh and:

BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept)

Our founder, Glyn Bindon, was passionate in his search for a way to combine the speed of a red dot collimator sight with the long range capabilities of a telescopic riflescope. his research paid off with the discovery of what is now referred to as the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC). Using both-eyes-open aiming, the human brain is able to instinctively superimpose the illuminated reticle on a moving or close-in target for quick target acquisition. during dynamic movement, the scene through the telescope blurs because the images more rapidly due to magnification. the one eye sees the reticle against the blurred target scene, so the brain picks the scene from the unaided eye. the shooter swings the weapon towards the target while perceiving the dot indicating where the weapon is pointed. as soon as the weapon begins to become steady in the target area, the brain switches to the magnified view.

the reticle patterns on all BAC units are illuminated using two light sources, tritium and fiber optics. tritium, an isotope of hydrogen, illuminates the reticle in low-light or no-light conditions. most illuminated optics use battery-power, which has a limited lifespan. tritium has the advantage of a shelf life of at least fifteen years. in daylight or other environments, fiber optics is used to gather ambient light and focus on the reticle.

cliffs: it's a red dot until you stop tracking, then its a scope

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl: oops

9. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Except Trijicon night sights suck. Or at least the ones I've seen do.

10. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Ah yes, forgot about BAC. That of course begs the question, how well does it really work if most people doing 3-guns use a DocOp for short range? :hsd:

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

no idea, i dont three-gun :hs:

thats actually not true, i've done one, but it was before i had my AR built and i borrowed my roomies :o

12. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I'm not knocking ACOG's in any manner, just seeing if they live up to the serious amount of hype. In reality I'm trying to convince myself I hate them only so I dont drop $1600 on an ACOG 4x32 and a DocOp. :o

13. Nice sight, but plenty of optics use things calibrated to the width of a torso to estimate range.

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

so just get the TA31 and see if you need a DocOp.

if i didn't like the TA33 inside 25 yards (which i do, because thats the farthest i've shot it too so far :o ), i would consider a DocOp :dunno:

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thats not all it has going for itself :)

16. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I need a decent upper (or entire gun for that matter, currently shooting a CMMG bargain bin) before I consider replacing my EOTech 553.

LMT MRF before ACOG here. And working all summer before either of those. :wtc:

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd:

18. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

meters FTL

ACOG still pwns though

19. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:werd:

nautical miles ftw :bowdown:

800 feet more awesome than statute miles.

20. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

:rofl:

arshins > *

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Here is my opinion on optics and understand there is a heavy bias on competition shooting...

First I think the ACOGS are very good sights. You definitely are getting a good sight and if you spend the money on one your not going to regret it. These people that drop a grand on more on their rifle and then want to go cheap on the optics are not doing themselves any favors. You can't hit what you can't see. It's also not a question of can you see it when you get all set up on your bench rest, but how fast you can find and hit your target in less than ideal situations.

That said I like the ACOG because the glass is very clear, it's light weight and it's parallax free because it's fixed power. In the world of 3 gun may people who shoot open class (more than one optic) like the acog and a secondary optic like a doctor or cmore. This is because the acog while it's usable at short range is really not as fast as an unmagnified optic. Some even say that at short range nothing is faster than iron sights. I also don't trust these reticle w/ the bac (hack marks for various distances.) this may or may not work for your rifle, ammo, and scope ring set up. When you consider the lenght of barrel, the fps and weight of the ammo, and the various height over bore of different scope mounting solutions you just get too much variation. You need to get your rifle and ammo out there, shoot and confirm. Chances are you will be kinda close but not really. When your shooting at 8" plates that does not cut it.

Most people who shoot in the tactical class (only one optic) shoot a 1x4 variable and one of the more popular is the trijicon accupoint. At the price point I think it is the best value. It's not as cool looking as a acog but set down to 1x it is as fast and easy to use as a dot sight, and at 4x it's good enough to get those long range plates out to 400 yards. The reticle on the accupoint is very odd. I call it the middle finger of death. For the shooting you do at 3 gun it's good enough for hold overs if you zero the scope correctly. I more or less hold top, middle or bottom of the plates and get them. For the extended distance shots I do hold over the plate and have got it figured out where at 400 I'm holding on the guard of the mgm flasher. This is my point there is no replacing knowing your hold overs with a bac. This is something you have to test and confirm not read about on the net or the literature that comes with your scope.

Now my needs are different than other peoples needs and to be honest I'm moving scopes soon too. I'm going to a 3x9 mildot accupoint. I also subscribe to the buy once cry once philosophy. Get the best scope you can afford. Even if it means saving up a while for it. I seriously wonder about these people with the cheapo knock off scopes. I'm going to refrain from bashing on them but they don't suit my needs which is the kindest thing I can say about them. Spend the $$$ on the glass.