A recommended sci-fi flick

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Milan, May 4, 2007.

1. Milan

Milan New Member

I watched a Sci-fi mini serie the ohter day, called "The lost room" and it took me by storm. I highly recommend it to those who haven't seen it.

And for those who have seen it, are there other sci-fi or twisted series/movies that you could recommend?

Highly appreciated!

1 love!

2. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

cube
    star trek: FC

3. pcaos

pcaos New Member

The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Forbidden Planet
    The early Quatermass movies late 1950's early 1960's
    "Things to come" from 1936

These and many more like them are the basis of all modern day Sci-Fi

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

cube, low budget but good movie

5. AstroHud

AstroHud New Member

Even Horizon FTW!

This movie is insane! Certainly this is my favorite top scfi flick right now! A ship that is run by an artificial blackhole, that allows it to travel through other universes.
    "The.. dark..."

6. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

"Hell is only a word"

7. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

I came in here to say cube. :squint:

8. jabtay

jabtay New Member

Then you should have said cube2 and cube zero. All are great movies IMO, but you have to watch them in order or it kills the whole trilogy

9. L Shaped Ambush

L Shaped Ambush New Member

watching the Cube movies on sci-fi was nuts

10. evanmit

evanmit New Member

Cube is pretty awesome
    Pitch Black is alright as well :)

11. tedistkrieg

tedistkrieg Exploited Filth

Without Warning
    [​IMG]

12. Shadoglare

Shadoglare NeoCon Commie Hitler Wanna-Be

What the hell, no mentions of Serenity? What's up with that?

13. Grouch

Grouch Guest

God that movie is such crap. There is nothing worth while in it.

14. Grouch

Grouch Guest

I came here to post that.

Serenity = greatest sci-fi movie of the decade.

15. Barton12

Barton12 New Member

Babylon 5 the series was great...most of the boxset's are fairly cheap now so could easily grab the entire series for cheap. There's a new Babylon5: The Lost Tales movie coming out July 31st so i can't wait for that. You can check out the trailer at babylon5.com, see if its anything you're interested in, definitely worth checking out.

16. AJAX

AJAX OT Supporter

serenity
    dark city (don't really know if this is sci-fi)
    event horizon
    starwars

17. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

I didn't like it that much, but that was mostly because of how much I liked Firefly. The characters in Serenity are changed too much, a bunch of them die, act weird, etc. I would much rather watch an old ep of Firefly.

18. Grouch

Grouch Guest

:ugh: One person dies and none of them act "weird".

19. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

The doctor and the captain are fighting and treating each other like shit, in the show the Captain spends the entire series defending the Doctor from everyone else. The reverend dies, the pilot dies, a few others die. Until the reverend dies you don't even see him, only briefly, then he's dead. May as well have not been in the movie.

It didn't have the same tone as the series at all, and it didn't really seem 'right' because of how much had to be changed to make a working movie for people who didn't watch the series. It's not uncommon for fans of firefly to not like serenity...

The companion was barely in it as well. Only half the ships cast had real roles in the movie. The entire reason the show was good was the chemistry between all of them and the world, it didn't have the same feel. A great deal just doesn't click. Here's a review from IMDB that sums up a lot of it:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  20. Grouch

Grouch Guest

The entire series? Really all 14 eps (11 aired) are all about Mal defending Simon? You should watch the show again, Ariel and Safe are the only 2 Simon/River centric EPs. Mal and Simon are often at odds about River.

You're right Book dies, and it wasn't unexpected if you followed the show. Everyone else that dies was not a part of the TV cast.

Book death is the whole reason that Mal has the will to do what he needs to do. It's the event that gives him something to believe in other than just himself.

Books character is played along the exact same lines as it was in the TV show.

Yeah actually it is. A vast majority of people on browncoat and FFF think the movie is great.

For someone who says he liked the show so much more, you don't even know their names. :ugh:

21. Grouch

Grouch Guest

what kind of moron wrote that? How stupid or little did he pay attention if he felt these were plot holes. :rofl:

22. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

I haven't seen the show in a year or so but I seem to know the characters interactions better than you...

Mal defends River/Simon throughout the entire series. Jayne, Wash, Zoe all voice opinions that would have River/Simon off the ship, Mal is the reason they stay. This tension is a constant element in the TV show, and especially toward the end Mal is the one defending River/Simon. This should translate into Mal defending Simon in the movie right? Well, no, the first thing we see if them in a huge fight, for seemingly no reason, and then Simon and River are being kicked off.

Mal was never the catalyst for that.

Book- Barely in the movie at all, serves no real purpose comparable to his purpose in the TV show, he was the voice of reason and comedy relief, he completely abandons this role in the movie and is then killed.

So the alliance kills Book because Mal is coming, but they don't stick around to kill Mal?

Wash/Zoe- Are fighting the entire movie. They almost never fought in the show, especially not in the way they do in the movie. This is for 'conflict', tension' and 'drama,' but what it results in is a bad translation to cinema.

Mal threatens to kill the crew if they don't go through the storm of reavers? Uhhh, yeah that's definitly in-character.

Kylee/Simons chemistry was completely gone.

River is completely, 100% changed, and imo in a bad way. She's now magically, for movies sake Neo from the fucking matrix?

The movie focuses entirely too much on inter-character conflict that did NOT exist in the show. The show was them as the underdogs against their world, trying to survive, keep River/Simon safe, get money, etc. This is completely changed.

If you think Serenity was the same thing as Firefly you never watched the fucking show.
    Hoban 'Wash' Washburne (14 episodes, 2002-2003)
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0303461/
    :ugh:
    In the same breathe you make fun of me for 'not knowing what I'm talking about' and say Book is the only TV character that died.

I'm not gonna sit here and feed your bullshit by point-by-point arguing with you. A quick glance at the first page of IMDB reviews reveals 4 people who said they liked Firefly and didn't like Serenity. Of 10 reviews. You are, in many cases, wrong, but you think you're right so you're gonna sit here and argue. I'm not going to waste my time. Have your opinion, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  23. Grouch

Grouch Guest

:rolf: oh yes, you’re self taught film man you must be right.

First Simon and River are not kicked off, Simon tells Mal they are leaving so you have no point. Watch closer next time, because you’re fucking wrong about that.

Their fight originates from Mal using River for the operation. As they are part of his crew they need to work. Simon gets mad and leaves, that’s all there is to it.

In addition, in the EP where she reads everyones mind. Mal isn’t kind in his thoughts about river.

In the film he is remains the voice of reason. Telling Mal that he needs to believe in something and that running isn’t going to solve his problems. Dude that’s a giant purpose in the film, your down playing of it is making you look bad. AND they essentially reveal he was an Operative as his past profession, something eluded to the entire TV show.

Yes, with scouting parties. OMG they didn’t kill them off 45 minutes into the movie there for it sucks. Now you’re just sounding stupid.

The fuck are you talking about? Really? They don’t fight in the movie.

Uhh yeah that the point. It’s so fucking far out of character everyone is like “wtf”.

Not that fucking hard to understand.

That’s why she’s all sad when Simon leaves the ship, that’s why she bitches at Mal for it and comments about driving Inara off, that’s why she has a tears good by with him and tells him not to go on ships that have some crappy engine.

What movie are you watching?

Watch the TV show again. River both reads minds and displaces perfect marksmen skills. Sorry all here matrix powers are in the show too.

This is where you say you could have made it better. But you are wrong as plain as day all those things are in the film. Watch it again.

There you go being a wannabe movie director again. To bad I’ve already proved you wrong, and the majority consensus among firefly fans is that Serenity finished the story very well and kept the same feel.

Dude I don’t want to call you stupid, but you’re a fucking moron. Go back and read my posts. I said one person died (referring to Wash as it was the big shocking one at the end and Book wasn’t on the crew member of the ship). Then I comment that yes, Book dies too.

There is a big difference from that and your claim that “a few others die”. There are no others. Just those two.

24. Grouch

Grouch Guest

God you act like such a faggot, you get put in your place and you wont even attempt to argue back. Please go back and watch the movie and the show again and we can all talk about how many points you knew all fuck about about.

I hope you have a little more guts in LAOT. :ugh:

25. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

I'm the faggot?
    And those are just the direct insults at my character, you imply I'm some sort of misinformed, ignorant jackass with every line you type.

Neither of us are 'right' or 'wrong,' you fucking dumb-shit. It's a movie. You liked it, I didn't, I gave perfectly reasonable examples of why I didn't like it. I showed you that other people didn't like it as well, for the same examples. You can't just CONVINCE me that the fucking movie was good. It doesn't work like that.

When I watched Serenity, it was a few minutes after I watched the last 4 episodes of the TV series. I had watched the entire series that week. Trust me, the contrast is vast between the environment the TV series set up and that of the movie. If you like it, fine, but I didn't, a great deal of other people didn't, and you're being an immature little bitch for insulting and arguing instead of just accepting other peoples opinions. Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

Grouch was a much better nickname for you.