GUN A real AD?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm not a 1911 guy, seems like it might be the real thing. A good reminder why we should load/unload/dryfire our weapons in a safe direction all the time. I personally like a big bucket of sand. I believe AB said he has something in his house too. If you expect your gun to never go off, you might get a bad surprise.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=384190

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Why was he carrying without one in the chamber? My Glock is always loaded and holstered unless it's time for the range or to be cleaned. I usually just go outside and point it in the dirt when I want to load it after cleaning.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

His story:

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

There's no way that gun would have went off out of battery. He obviously doesn't know how a 1911 works (first clue is dropping the slide with a round already in the chamber). The pin will not drop if the disconnect is not fully engaged.

I don't buy his story, I believe it was an ND.

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

so this wouldn't have happened had he chambered a round via the magazine, right?

and who the fuck drops a round in the chamber

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

That is the ONLY way you should ever chamber a round in an automatic.

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

and why aren't the people at THR calling him on it

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

being nice. I don't care enough to get into a pissing match with him. It comes down to me not being there, and him being able to paint the story however way he likes it. It's easier to consider him an idiot and move on.

I know how the gun should operate, and his story doesn't add up. Best I could do is give him the benefit doubt and say something is detrimentally wrong with his pistol and it has no business being his carry.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

:rofl: That clue applies to most handguns I think ;)

I'm a natural skeptic but I'm not also familiar enough with the 1911's function to call BS. Its a good reminder to still play pointed in a safe direction either way so you're covered if you or your gun malfunction :big grin:

Another clue revealed... It also looks like he's carrying blazer ball...

Its late, by morning it should be full of fun!

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

In the heat of the moment, most people won't know what truly happened and will blame everyone or everything but themselves. He may truly believe he did no wrong.

As you guys know I record a ton of matches, some I don't upload, because I have caught some seriously bad things during my video taping of matches. Things that people will deny, then when they see the video, they realize how wrong they are.

Talking about running with their finger in the trigger, reloading with the finger on the trigger, 180 violations, sweeping themselves, etc. I've seen Master shooters ND, no one is above getting caught slipping. Which is why you should never get "LAZY" that is never a good enough excuse.

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Possibly a home gunsmithing trigger job. I've seen or hard of hammers dropping when going into battery or safety's being dropped, etc.

Again was not there, did not see, but doesn't surprize me.

I saw one of my squad mates do a real AD with her springfield XD. The gun did have a trigger job but done with be a real good gunsmith (Dave Lawver american handgunner top 50 gunsmith) Have video of her dropping the slide, finger off the trigger, bam, DQ. Really sucked and hence re-enforced my XD hate.

12. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

did you watch the vid? not saying that the vid is real though.

13. Topgun

Topgun OT Supporter

and letting the slide slam on an empty chamber.

14. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I had that thought after I posted... Especially since he posted that it bounced off of the firing pin and into being half cocked. the spring pressure should keep that from happening.

15. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

That part seemed strange to me as well.

I also don't understand the economy of dropping a slide on a loaded chamber. If he's that lazy or in that much of a hurry then perhaps carrying a weapon is not something he's built for.

I have heard of firing pins getting stuck in the forward position due to build up in the firing pin channel from oil or debris. It wouldn't be something a regular field strip cleaning would address.

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I own a RIA 1911 and mine the grip safety was improperly setup, when the trigger was puller the trigger bow would rest of the sear and not the peg of the safety. (I have since replaced the grip safety, thumb safety, trigger, sear, disconnector, sear spring, hammer, hammer strut and mainspring) and the fire control group now works at it is supposed to.

But from his story it sounds like something is either horribly wrong with the gun or in the heat of the moment he didn't nothing something he did.