A&P A rant about artsy weirdos (no offense artsy weirdos)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TtamNedlog, Nov 10, 2007.

1. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

So I was just at a photo exhibition, one that I had entered a photo in. While there, looking around at all the photos, I see one that the creator is asking $3,000 for. I thought "WOW, that's insane." I then overheard who I thought was the head of the exhibition say, "That $3,000 one, that's just a joke price." I thought, "Ohh... that makes sense heh."

So later I'm talking to this girl there and she sees the $3,000 photo and is also surprised, and I said, "Oh it's just a joke." But the creator was standing nearby and heard me say that. She gave me this look of death like I'd never seen before. :rofl: Being the non-confrontational guy that I am, I simply apologized and said that somebody else had said it was a joke. I was just tellin it like I heard it. She seemed pretty pissed off though, and I concluded that's she's just a weirdo. Here's why she shouldn't have cared about what I said:

1. Personally, I can't fathom a photo that I would want to pay more than $50 for. Even if Ansel Adams himself rose from the grave and shot a single photo and died again, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it. I'm sure this single edition Zombie Ansel Adams photo would EASILY go for $1,000,000+. So let me rephrase that. I wouldn't pay $100 for it for myself. I'd certainly pay $100 and resell that sucker to the insane art collectors who would pay a mil for it.

2. If she's that offended by something that I said about the PRICE of her photo, not even the photo itself, she clearly can't take criticsim. She'd be in hell as an artist.

2. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

she should come post here.... [​IMG]

3. KungFool7

KungFool7 keep driving—it's getting earlier

a photo of...

4. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Her photo was titled "Fucking Global Warming" and it was of several jars lined up with plants in them. On the jars, words were written but I had lost interest in the photo before I got around to reading them lol.

Despite it wreaking of some sort of artsy political message, which isn't my cup of tea, I didn't have a problem with the photo itself. Nothing technically wrong with it. Good composition, exposure, etc. Boring subject IMO, but so what. My sole issue was with the price. Yet she acted as if I had dug up her family's graves.

5. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

The irony of this whole story, is that this eco-minded anti-establishment hippy was trying to make $3000 profit from the global warming she apparently hated. :rofl:

Just a vulture with a camera that didn't bother to think things through.

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

people pay thousands of dollars for paintings that look like my sister's "paintings" in kindergarten. and those paintings "move" them. the sad truth is they're paying for a name, not the actual painting...at least in most cases.

7. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

They are affectionatly known as "art fags" to me...and it probably does not help i go to a liberal arts school. i was at a photo show like that about a week ago...some shitty photo from the local CC that was $2000 and then all of ours at like $150-200. What the fuck ever...

8. johan

johan Active Member

If she SERIOUSLY thought it was worth $3000, she wouldn't have been really bothered by someone's offhand comment.
    She was probably just choked someone called her on her ridiculous but common attempt to grab legitimacy/status with a high but arbitrary pricetag.

As for the perceived value, if I had oh..say, a Ferrari Enzo parked outside, and some punter walked by and commented, that car aint worth more than $100..
    I'd just laugh and ignore the guy. He's welcome to his own opinion.

The "worth" of art is hard to pin down. Its relative worth is whatever some sucker will pay for it. Maybe she'll find that sucker.

9. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Jeff Koons, what?

10. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

I approve this thread :o I've never understood buying a painting with a red square painted on it with a yellow squiggly line going through it for $1081238.

11. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

I'd go $110... but he's have mounted and signed it before dying again...

I run an art center, the prices some of our "artists" have the gall to put on their "art" amaze me sometimes. I've been in the gallery and have patrons make comments about prices, realize I overheard them and apologize, I still haven't decided if it's proper to let them know I agree with them:)

12. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

this made me LOL