GUN A question of ethics

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spoofy, Apr 28, 2007.

1. spoofy

spoofy Chemically Enhanced

I went to a local gun shop today to purchase an XD-40 as my first gun. The shop was closing soon and low on staff. The guy at the counter was very polite and promised me that he would be with me shortly. Another guy came up and he almost immediately told him the same. Within minutes someone was able to help me and the other guy who was behind me. While doing the paper work for my XD 3 guys came in and started looking at the guns. Each was dressed in a somewhat thuggish fashion and they seemed to be from rough neighborhoods. Nobody ever offered them help even though they stood at the counter for at least twice as long as everyone else. In fact an older man who was probably in his 60’s looking for ammo who came in after them was helped as well.
    The young guys seemed to be frustrated and left the store after waiting for a while.

So that raises the question. Did the store employees make an ethical decision to not to assist the “thuggish” men in purchasing a gun?

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I was under the impression that a private store had the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. They may have just exercised this right in a subtle meaning.

Or, it could be that you just say a glimpse of something the store workers have dealt with before. They could be in there a lot and always look and never buy, maybe the clerks thought the people didn't want to buy, etc.

Just trying to play devil's advocate and open your mind to different scenarios.

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

wtf are ethics?

4. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I think that only applies to stores that arent open to the general public. You cant refuse service to anyone for any ole reason.

Its probably just a little prejustice that happen...I wouldnt call it a good work of ethics to save lives by intentionally not helping them. :dunno:

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Who knows it could have been a frantic clerk who just lost track of people and their order and is just eager to leave, they might be frequent looky loo's, the store might be discriminating. I wouldn't worry about it, if they deserve a bad reputation for discrimination they'll get one.

6. Crossett

Crossett New Member

yes, you can

7. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

A store owner can refuse to sell a gun to any person for any reason, or no reason at all. The main purpose of this is to combat straw purchases.

8. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I'm young so I get this sometimes. Nothing to brash though.

9. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

It could very well be that they have been in there before and been suspicious, never buy anything etc.

I have found that if you are dressed decent (not a suit, but nothing with holes in it) and polite, you do get served quicker and better most places than if you come in looking like a bum or a hood

10. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I think how you present yourself has more to do with it than age. I'm young also, 24, and I've never had a problem. I'm usually in business dress though when I go pickup my stuff after work. I guess us clean shaven white boys in dress clothes move to the front of the line. :mamoru:

11. Werm

Werm Guest

It's true... whenever I look at guns and "thugs" or younger kids who a lot of times just come to look are saying shit like that. I've heard them call guns "pieces" etc... and fuck around awhile looking at them.

Workers are probably use to that BS and didn't feel like wasting time on them when others wanted help... however discriminatory that may be. You act and dress how you want to be treated in this world... kinda sucks.

12. Werm

Werm Guest

I used to get this also... specially when looking at pistols. The pawn/gun shop by my house always helps me though. Maybe cause I've boughten multiple pistols from them?

13. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

they're coming down a little harder here on everyone at my local range/shop. a guy that committed a well publicized murder bought his stuff there

14. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

the thugs may have been strokers.

15. Furner

Furner New Member

yeah you can. sanctity of private enterprise. its your business and you can damn well serve whoever you want.

16. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I'm usually in t-shirt and jeans and unshaven since I go in on my days off.

17. striker754

striker754 Chillin

who gives a fuck. thats not an ethics question. an ethics question is do you dump the toxic waste in the stream or do you pay to remove it properly

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

oh yes you can. maybe not in commifornia :o