A question for those that know wireless networks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shawn4element, May 5, 2004.

1. shawn4element

shawn4element OT Supporter

Hey everybody, I've been having a problem getting my wireless network up and running. I've looked all over, had my friends help, and still, to no avail. I simply want my two computers to be able to run my DSL, that is my goal. The obstacle is simply getting one running.

I recently got SBC DSL, and got their DSL modem ( pic ) and then I bought a D-Link wireless router (picto accompany it.

The wireless NIC is on my other computer, the router will be directly above my main computer, so I am going to connect it via cat5.

Anyway, I can't get it to work, at all. I have got the DSL button to light up on my DSL modem, just as if I was on the internet, but nothing would load. I really don't know what to ask, other than that. If you have any advice, please help! Thanks :)

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

It doesn't sound like a wireless problem so far if you can't get either computer to work. We need more information, such as:

Do you have a static IP address from SBC or do you use PPPoE?
    Does it work if you connect one computer directly to the modem?
    What version of operating systems are you running?

3. shawn4element

shawn4element OT Supporter

I am just using the dynamic address they gave me.

Yeah, right now im using the computer directly through the DSL modem.

The computer I am trying to connect to right now is XP (SP1) and the other one is gonna be 98SE (although that isn't an issue yet).

Anything else?

4. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

I knwo that with SBC DSL they won't activate your internet until a certain date. I would call them up and make sure its activated.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

So you use a name and password through a program like Enternet300, SBC's dialer, or WinXP's built-in PPPoE dialer to get online. You need to configure the router to use pass than logon information to SBC on your behalf. Unplug the DSL modem from your computer, turn it off, wait a few minutes, and restart the modem. Then connect the modem to the WAN/Internet port on the router and connect your XP machine to one of the LAN ports. Your computer should get an IP address of either 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x range. Point your web browser to the default gateway IP address, probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. This will be explained in the router's quick start guide. Once you're into the router, you need to tell it to access the Internet via PPPoE. Enter your SBC logon name and password. Save the changes. There should be a test button somewhere in there. Or a WAN status button. If it doesn't get an IP address from SBC, you're probably entering the wrong name and password. You should now be able to access the Internet through your wired computer.