a question for the SQL/Database Experts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fishbulb, Jun 6, 2003.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Active Member

I was hoping someone could offer me some advice. I am trying to help a small business set up a SQL database using oracle. I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to Oracle Developer to create a graphical front end for the database or am I out of luck?

thanks

2. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

If it is a small business, why don't you use MYSQL. That is pretty cheap and there are a ton of tools out there to help you with it.

You could totally do it in Java,c#,VB,etc. It's pretty easy to interface with a DB.

3. strlen

strlen Guest

PostresSQL may be better for a direct Oracle transition, as it has such features as transactions, and I believe (not 100% sure), sub-selects. That, combined, with Perl (which has databse independent SQL support), would be a good alternative. You could use Perl and CGI to create a web driven graphical interface. There's also .NET interfaces to both PostresSQL and MySQL, as well as Java interfaces.

Otherwise, if you don't need these features, MySQL is great, widely documented, and widely supported.

Both of these are free, and have an excellent license.

You can always switch up to Oracle or DB2 when you can afford it, but you can't always switch down.

4. Early Apex

Early Apex Guest

It depends on what you mean by "graphical front end." You could, for example, use Access; just link to Oracle tables through ODBC, and use Access's forms and VBA to build an interface.