A&P A question for the pros regarding the industry

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Valence, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I have a theory, which may or may not be true. I think that the advent of digital photography has enabled many people to pick up photography as a hobby, of course. These people were put off by the expense of film processing, the time it took to get them back, the lack of instant gratification and not knowing if you got the shot, so it became easier to respect photography and photo professionals as a whole, due to the challenge it presented.

With digital photography, I'm seeing peoples attitudes towards photography in general change. Now, all it takes is a couple grand and you get mothers at soccer games thinking they are photo pros. I see people think that because someone has a very expensive camera that they automatically take great photographs, that quality is directly proportionate with expense of equipment. Most of these people put no stock in skill or knowledge at all. Take my last christmas party at work - they paid a guy who worked in another department several hundred bucks to take photos (which were just snapshots) because he had a "professional camera" which - turned out to be a digital rebel.

Other people don't understand basic photography concepts, think and believe that I am just too "uppity" when they ask my opinion on someone's photos. I think that the value of photography in general has been lowered by the sheer saturation of the market with uneducated, and inexperienced shooters out there. I'm not a pro, and don't want to be - but I can tell when someone else isn't a pro and desperately passing themselves off as one in public. I guess my best analogy is how the IT field I work in is completely saturated with younger, uneducated and inexperienced workers with paper certifications and an empty brain - making the rest of us look bad.

So has anyone else noticed this?

2. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

repost

3. Hyperite

Hyperite Vagina Junction OT Supporter

Doesn't make you look bad unless you didn't step your game up. This is nothing new, when something becomes mainstream and affordable (either in price or time), more people get involved. Find a way to make yourself stand out, and don't worry about the people who only THINK they're great.

4. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Shit, I just bought a ton of shit. I'm a pro now. :mamoru:

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

anyone can pick up any peice of equipment and make money from it. And a Pro is anyoen who is paid for what they do. Yeah anyone can pick up a camera and learn and there will always be a level of person who will pay them. And sure anyone can go a buy a camera, but they dont. I pay a kid to weedwack my yard, I can go out and buy a weedwacker and do my own yard, but I wont and rather pay and he prolly could not figure out out to even start a weedwacker serveral months ago and now, he is making money all over the neighborhood. Go him. Same with photography.

6. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

and you got like 2 years in right? So you are experienced and seasoned pro by now:)

7. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

We all know it takes more than a big camera to be a pro. Any real pro will also be a pro of business. If a pro worries about the uneducated amature stealing business then he's not marketing himself right and not running a very good business.

8. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

:werd:

in all honesty though, I used to do pencil portraits (I posted some of my work a while back). I lost interest in drawing, and for years, I was looking for a medium that would feed my passion faster than drawing would. I liked photography, but I knew how expensive it was w/ film cameras, learning curve, etc. Once I got into digital photography, thats when I knew I found the medium. Now, its just a matter of perfecting it in my mind and finding my style of how I would like to shoot. 2 years isn't enough, but man, I've learned so much in the past 2 years... and I haven't even begun to consider myself in the same league as tits, johan, and some of the other guys here.

Regardless of what others see in my pictures, I consider myself an amateur at best, simply because I have so much still to learn. :o

9. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Most "pros" arent too concerned about the wannabes. They are typically confident in their work, and know the work speaks for themselves., and know how to market their work. However if you are starting out, i can see how it effects the business. But this happens in every field, not just photography.

10. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Pro means you're selling your work. It has nothing to do with skill.

11. johan

johan Active Member

sure, technically, its whether you get paid.

But we know who we're talking about. full time professional photogs earning their sole source of income, people fully plugged into the photo/creative community, with lots of industry contacts, are known and well connected.

GWAC's are so far removed from this reality, they're not really relevant.

We have a local shopping mall does a lot of fashion work, lots of print ads, newspapers, etc. All over the place, lots of work. I can't imagine GWAC's getting hired to do a mag spread for them no matter how many dslr's he buys.

As for your xmas party scenario......if Joe Rebel's pics bother you so much, why don't you volunteer and blow them away with your skills and images.

And..technically, he got paid, but him getting comped a few hundred $ doesn't make him a bankable pro.

12. johan

johan Active Member

Dude....:bigthumb: thanks but don't mention me in the same breath as tits. :rofl: He's a real photog.

I dont consider my work that good yet... mostly I just play around with lighting...sometimes a good portrait comes out... :wavey:

13. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

more people getting into photography just means there will be more skilled photographers to compete with in the future. of course there is always gonna be the newbs/soccer moms with an SLR who will never progress, but more people getting into photography means more skilled photographers in the long run.

14. Bloke

Bloke Banned

every holga sale makes me die a little bit

15. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

I've been shooting for a decade and still don't consider myself a pro. :( One day, perhaps!