GUN A question for the CC folk

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Oct 12, 2006.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Long story short, I applied for my permit a week ago and I'm not expecting it in the next 2-3 weeks. I still haven't picked up a piece of CC, but that's not the issue today. Today's issue in the GF. She has no problem with gun in general and she says she has no problem with me getting my permit. The problem is she doesn't like the idea of me carrying all the time, claims will make her feel like she has a reason to fear for our safety if I feel the need to be armed. Granted I haven't decided how much I will exercise the rights I get from the permit, I currently am in college so I cannot carry on campus, most everywhere else is fair game (I part off campus so I could carry to and from campus if I wanted to or if I had been somewhere earlier in the day.) I might only carry to places I feel are slightly more threatening, or I might just have it readily acessable when I am in the truck and then take it with me as the situation dicatates (at least in my mind.) However chances are that I will want to carry everywhere I can or at the very least more than she will think is called for (I know some of you have the mindset you never know when and were somthing will happen and murphy's law says it will be when you are unarmed.)

So my question to you guys is have you ever had to deal with a woman in regard to carry like this? Is there any advise you can offer to smooth things out? I already plan on taking her to the range and getting her more comfortable with guns, but besides that any suggestions?

Cliffs: I am getting my CWP, woman doesn't like the idea of me carrying. She says it is going to make her feel like she has a reason to be worreid about our safety if i feel the need to to carry. I haven't carried yet to see how it makes me feel, but I suspect it will not make me nervous or worried, it might make me more aware of what is going on around me, but I will probably see it as feeling safer as if something comes up I have one more option open to me.

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Typical female shit. Carry anyway and just don't tell her about it, what she doesn't know won't hurt her. You gotta put your foot down on this one, or she'll start to walk all over you for anything and everything. She'll get used to the idea in time.

When I first started carrying I think my family was convinced I was going to turn into Wyatt Earp or something, after a few months they got used to it and it's not a big deal now.

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I am putting my foot down on this one I will carry when and where I want as long as it is within the law. Her and I just got back together we had a big problems including me apparently basing too much of my life around her and her opinions. Now I have other things and am getting a permit (something I have been thinking about doing for 1.5 years I am going to be me this time.) I MIGHT consent to not leaving a loaded gun next to the bed at night, but carrying is my plan.

I'm just looking for a way to make it a little easier and less of an argument is all.

As for not telling her we will see I am hoping to get my grandfather's 1911 and carry it at least in the winters in a IWB holster so it might be a little hard to hide if she hugs me.

4. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I'm absolutely speechless. That's not even an excuse. Carry anyway. My wife didn't like the idea at first (I'm pretty sure it was for similar reasons) but she got used to it. Some people just don't want to be reminded that bad things can happen.

5. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

my woman was all anti-gun and shit, and now sometimes if its dark in the middle of nowhere, she'll ask if i have my gun for reassurance.

just tell her to fuck off for awhile until she gets used to it.

i carry everywhere.

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

my wife definitely isn't against me carrying. i guess its because her dad hunts alot so she's been around guns all her life.

7. Gimik

Gimik New Member

:werd:

She's trying to be a sheep - don't let her. And ESPECIALLY don't let her turn you into one.

You keep your gun on you as far as you're comfortable. I'd also suggest keeping one close at hand while you're asleep - bad things happen in the home all the time too. I mean... do you keep a flashlight handy? A pocket knife? What's the difference?

I don't see the point in NOT carrying when you can - it doesn't cost anything to just throw your holster on.

8. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Find a woman that likes guns. And you know what Chris would say.

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I know what chris would say, I like how you pass it all off on him.

As for finding one that likes guns, I might have to if this doesn't go over well. :rofl:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  10. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Oh I will not be turned into a sheep, period.

Actually I hadn't thought of that she has a 5 inch blade in her purse (it belonged to her grandfather kind of like the 1911 I am trying to get ahold of) and she just mentioned that she want a smaller blade that she can carry in her pocket.

Nor do I.

I'm going to carry as far as I am comfortable that much I am certian of, just trying to find a way to make it less stressfull on a relationship is all. :hsd:

11. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

if you are a pussy and the gun is more likely to be taken from you than used on your behalf in a bad situation...then she might have a point

I guess only she knows you better than we do...

12. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

wait are you serious?

Concealed means no one should know you have it and if I ever pull it, well you should be prepared to destroy what you are aiming at.

13. 993kgt

Sure I am. It is not that difficult to take a gun away from someone if you rush them and things like safeties, holsters, shirts, etc are getting in the way.

For example, if I were a bad guy- and someone pulled a gun on me, i'd rush them as quickly as I could. I stand a better chance getting really close to them and interfering, then I do running zigzag patterns getting away from them. Take a self defense course on how to handle a gun in a stiuation like that, and you will learn common mistakes, etc. If you think its not possible, then you are being ignorant and you owe it to yourself to be educated.

EDIT: If i were a bad guy, i'd have a gun :noes:

So, like I said. I agree the first sign that you have a gun (to the bad guy) should be a bright flash, and of course no bang (as he'll surely be dead). But lets be real, thats not always how it goes down, especially if you hesitate, carry unchambered, or fumble a bit.

So if you're a clutz, non-alpha male, more likely to whip out the "gat" and point and threaten than to just empty it and let the lord decide...then yes, you might lose your gun, and that would be bad.

Of course this whole argument is flawed by assuming that a "bad guy" won't bring a gun to the fight, and in that case, you're better off having one even if you are a klutz.

Around my area, its more likely that the "bad guy" will be a psychotic homeless person or a ghetto thugg on meth.

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I see your point. Basically a carry peice you need to have proper experiance and training on everything should be second nature to you with the gun. And of course things don't always go perfects, which can even been seen a knive vs carry video around here that you need about 21 feet to draw and fire on a charging person. Anyways I really don't plan on using the gun for leverage or display, it is a I have it you don't know I don't need it you never know, I need it and hopefully you still never know.

Still most of the time its not worth pulling a gun if there is another reasonable way out of the situation.

Your point is well taken that a gun will not give you a 100% chance of getting out of any situation, you still have to use your head even if you have a "gat"

15. 993kgt

yeah and I pick on some of my local buddies who have CCW but have not yet taken up any type of training on how to properly use your weapon. Cops do it, with a gun walking around in public, why shouldn't you? Ya know?

And I guess it comes from doing the IPSC stuff that I realized after my first few matches, that I was not at all as skilled and adept to handling jams, misfeeds, quick reloads, etc. Also drawing from holster is its own artform (when there is clothing for concealment, new unbroken in leather, etc, etc.)

Everytime I goto a match now, I walk away a little closer to being ready for a real life scenario, though I hope I never have one.

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Once I get my carry rig setup I am going to have to log some time with it at the range as well as practice drawing. I probably should look into places that might offer more in depth training for concealed carry than the joke of a class you have to take to get the permit.

17. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

A person could choose not to carry and be in the same level of danger or worse than someone who does.
    Just because you decide to carry doesnt mean you are going to be in danger.
    It is a right that you choose to excercise. Same reason Im going to build my own ak. If we dont use the rights we are given, then why have rights in the first place?

Tell her that there is the same amount of danger around you with the gun as it would be without. Just now you have the means to defend yourself if any problem should arise.

Just because I lock my house at night doesnt mean that I have a bigger chance of being robbed. If I never locked my front door, more people would try to take advantage of me.

18. 993kgt

that being said, I think most of the CCW keeps it to themselves, its not something to advertise to those around you, having knowledge of your weapon can turn out to be a bad thing.

"hey sue, you have a gun shoot him!"

or

Mike: What the fuck are you carrying a gun for? What, in case somebody steps to you, Snoop Dogg?
    Sue: Hey man, you're not from here, alright. You don't know how it is. I grew up in L.A.
    Trent: Anaheim.
    Sue: Whatever, man. It's different out here. It's not like New York, Mikey.
    Sue: People get carjacked.
    Trent: Who's gonna carjack your fuckin' K-Car? He's right Sue you don't need to carry a gat!
    Mike: Haven't you seen Boyz N The Hood? Now one of us is going to get shot.

19. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I do not plan on letting everyone around me know, however a woman who shares your bed and is there when you get dressed in the morning . . . well lets just say she would have to be pretty dumb not to notice putting a gun in your pants or taking it out and putting it by the bed, not to mention the occasional cleaning of the gun.

20. 993kgt

she's there in the morning? :hsnono:

21. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Do what I did and get her a gun. :o

My nightstand:

[​IMG]

Hers:

[​IMG]

She found a gun she liked, and read up on it. She liked that you could change the grips to any color and style. So I found a good deal on one and bought it. She loves it, and now occasionally she'll take it with her when she's going to shady areas. Other than that, it lives cocked and locked on her nightstand with 230gr Gold Dots. She also finds it very amusing that her bullets are bigger than mine.

22. 993kgt

1911 ftmwf

200gr JHP would do her better, 230gr is overkill (IMO) for a female shooter

23. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I have actually thought about doing that since she lives out in the middle of nowhere in a small community and isn't very good about lockinng her doors :nono: I've told her I'd feel better with one beside her bed than me carrying :hsd:

24. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I'd prefer she use this:

[​IMG]

But that takes two hands, and she knows the first thing she had better do is seek cover, call 911, then swipe off the safety and wait.

25. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

just in case you gots to reload