GUN A Question for Long Range Shooters

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Powderburn, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

i am very close to paying off a Leupold Mark4 LR/T 4.5-14x50mm for my first dive into quality glass. I am gonna start off mounting it on my 20" AR15 and then as money allows im gonna get a remington 700 .308.

to those here who do long range target shooting (beyond 100 yards), to what distances do you think my 14x Leupold will be effective to shoot up to?
    I am fairly new to benchrest shooting and probably wont be shooting 1000 yards anytime soon but about how far can i realistically expect to see targets clearly with the magnification on my scope?

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

500+, 14 is plenty of magnification.

3. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

depends slightlyon the shooter but I like 14x at 450 yards max. But I like a HUGE image in my sights

4. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

military snipers used 10x out to 1000+ for decades, so I'd say 14x is enough for about anything, and besides, your skill will be more of a limiting factor than your scope ever will.

5. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Anyone have pics of this scope? I just have the reflex scope that came on my RRA DEA.

6. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Im a big fan of 1/4 minute iron sights. Why get a scope? I odn't understand.

7. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

To shoot at extremely long ranges?

8. ReefBlue

ReefBlue New Member

You have good vision out to like 500 yards when looking at a piece of paper?

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

just curious... how much did that glass cost ya? i know it's not cheap, and probably worth more than most guns you'll put it on. It should do the job to at least 1000yds if you do your part.

Course it also depends on what you want to shoot at. Do you want to be able to see the 3" circle at 1000 yds, or do you just want to be able to see a gong sihllouete at 600 yds... application then toys.

10. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I shoot at 600 yards with Iron sights :p High power service class competetion FTW!

11. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

You really don't need that great of vision. So long as you can see the target and its not blurry, you are fine. You don't need to see the rings, you don't need to see the X, just the target. Focus on your front sight, and set the top of you sight on the bottom of the target, and pull the trigger.

12. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

the scope came to 959+tax
    i got it with no illumination and a duplex reticle since its only going to be for benchrest shooting and not hunting or ranging. Its also got the M1 turrets with 1/4 moa clicks.

I dont think my skill will allow 1000 yards anytime soon but when i do build up to that point, id be happy just hitting a man sized target at 1000yds.
    As far as what id most likely be doing is hitting paper plates between 100-500 yards.