GUN A question about the "militia"

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by zumin3k, Aug 19, 2008.

1. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

As I understand it (and I may be completely wrong), the militia is intended to be a body of private citizens who are separate from the government and standing Army, who can defend their state/region in times when the government/Army is unable to respond, or to "hold the line" so to speak, until they do.
    Yet it is illegal to form a Militia or undergo military style training outside of the military.
    :squint:

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

In VA a militia is composed of all able bodied men, whether you join or not :mamoru:

3. more off

more off Moderator

its not illegal to get military style training, is it ?

what about that jew camp in the NE that makes little jewish soldiers

4. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

It might be just a CA thing.

5. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

So if 500 able bodied men get together with their weapons for training and what not, how do you think that would go over? It does say "Well-regulated militia". Can't be well regulated without training, right?

6. more off

more off Moderator

the local SWAT / national guard / military would be dispatched to eradicate terrorists

7. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Yeah, that's my point.
    There are serious inconsistencies with the way the libs/gun grabbers want things
    " You can only have guns if you're in a Militia"
    "Ok, I'm in the Militia"
    "No you're not, the Militia is the Government"

Shit makes no sense.

8. "Regulated" meant "trained" when they wrote the amendment.

9. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

I agree. But the gov won't allow a well regulated militia at all.
    I'd like to see what would happen if men in every state started arming and training themselves, as a militia.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

and 80% of the members will be undercover ATF agents.

11. more off

more off Moderator

:roflw:

12. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

"Damn the Constitution, you shouldn't be in a Militia, OR have these guns. Terrorist bastards"

13. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Ok, I must have been getting bad info over on Calguns. From what I've read, "Military style" training is illegal for civilians.
    Glad to hear this isn't true, but my confusion about the militia stands.

14. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

I'll try to find something. It was a while ago.

15. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Thanks for the find. I think I may have misunderstood people talking about it already being illegal.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

California has several militia. There is one in Los Angles. they go out in the desert and run around and shoot their rifles, climb ropes and all sorts of nonsense.

As far as the Constitution the militia is all able bodies men. Their job is to be able to over throw the government if the government over stepped their bounds. If this were to be followed as intended than those able bodied men would need arms of appropriate type where they would have some sort of chance. Granted that doesn't mean air craft carriers or tanks but I would think military style rifles including class 3.

17. more off

more off Moderator

we at least need a buncha 4x4 trucks with huge machine guns mounted in the rear and more FA weapons to lay down cover fire :mad:

18. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Don't you get it yet? The Government wants you to just pay taxes and not question their authority.

19. amac88

amac88 New Member

They didnt expect the government to have tanks, jet aircraft, etc. It would be almost impossible to overthrow the government nowadays. I say almost because with enough people, it could be done, but it would take a long time and require people to work together. Lots of people would not give a crap what the government did, as long as their little world was not affected.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This is really a very tired old argument. Superior technology or force doesn't necessarily ensure victory. We have the firepower to blow houses up to get rid of mice but that really doesn't help us in any practical way. What are the tanks and jets going to do, level entire cities because there are undesireables there? See the current problem in Iraq for the real time demonstration of the flaw in your thinking.

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

In reality the people would have a hell of a time over throwing the goverment. If properly armed they will be able to stand up to the goverment and make them think twice if they are about to do something unthinkable.

Say they decided they were going to go door to door and draft every male fighting age for the army, or grab huge tracks of land and not compensate people for loss of property, or grab everybody of ethnicy and put them in a concentration camp. Granted this kind of stuff is unthinkable as reality here, but it happens in other parts of the world. Why is that? Because the dictators in those parts of the world make sure the people are unarmed.

22. smartypants

smartypants New Member

You'll know because they'll be the ones who can touch their toes.

23. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Actually that is not true at all. In the times of the constitution, "well regulated" had nothing to do with training, organization, or anything of the like.

At the time, "well regulated" meant someone that, essentially, wasnt a criminal or trouble maker. Someone that was well regulated was someone that was law abiding and "regulated" in terms of the law.

So, in the Constitution, when they refer to a "well regulated militia" they meant a militia made up of people that were law abiding and well behaved men.

In many states, the state constitutions put the militia as any able bodied man that was not already in the proper military.

Therefore, a well regulated militia was all able bodied men not already in the military that are law abiding citizens.

It had nothing to do with training or organization. It was part of the basis for the Heller case to dispute the idea that if one was not in an organized militia they still had the right to keep and bear arms.

24. http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/07-2901.pdf

It's interesting that you brought up Heller, as the justices actually specifically addressed what was meant by the term "regulated."
    Go to page 23. It's in the last paragraph on that page. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  25. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Not really nitpicking, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Vickers post that he only works in "free" states to avoid issues with transporting firearms.