A question about the legality of downloaded material

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CrimsonRiot, Sep 30, 2005.

1. CrimsonRiot

CrimsonRiot New Member

Whenever i goto ROM sites they insist that you have to delete the rom within 24 hours or face possible legal consequences if caught.
    Now what I am interested in knowing is where did the 24 hour window come from?
    Is it applicable to other things like downloaded movies, tv shows, pc games, and applications?

2. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

technically it's illegal, however if its old games like nes/atari, nobody is going to give a shit. and the whole 24 hour thing isn't really true. having them at all is technically illegal.

3. typ44

typ44 New Member

It is illegal to keep the ROM only if you do not own the original copy of the game.

4. 01000101

01000101 New Member

they just put that up in a lame attempt to cover their asses. its illegal to have the rom unless you have the game. i seriously doubt rom sites have all eleventy billion games they have roms for, so the point is moot.

just download the rom and keep it.

5. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

it's still not legal to have it even if you do have the real game. nobody cares though.

6. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

The 24 hour thing showed up around 10 years ago, back in the good old days where you could download almost any stolen app/game/music from sites and nobody gave a shit.

Alas, 24 hour thing is bunk, it's not true, never was, nor has any legal weight if you say "I've only had it 23 hours and 19 minutes".