A problem with POP mail servers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by proben930, Jan 8, 2003.

1. proben930

proben930 Guest

I am on an apartment LAN. My school has an email account which i am required to use. They have incoming and outgoing POP servers. However, (i'm not sure of why) i can't access the outgoing mail server from our LAN. I can read incoming mail just fine. The university said to find out from the office what our outgoing mail server is--and we don't have one. Is there any way of getting around this somehow? I hate web based email. TIA

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

The University isn't allowing relay access to the server from outside it's network. This is so any random spammer doesn't use their mail server to send stuff to lots of people. There isn't much you can do if your provider doesn't have an SMTP server.

3. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

Rob's right as to your problem, but actually there's something you can do quite easily to solve it. Run your own. It's actually a relatively simple task. If you're running Win2K you can install it from the CD (You have to install IIS). I think XP let's you too, though I don't think IIS is on the XP CD, can't remember though. Just restrict the IP to yours only.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

The problem is that your group of IP's may be grouped as dynamic and therefore could be blocked by some ISP's mail server.

5. proben930

proben930 Guest

I tried kabuko's suggestion. Everytime I try to load up the mail server, it says "error starting server: Address already in use"

Does this mean they already have one? and the front office people are retarted?