"A problem has been detected. Windows has been shutdown to prevent further problems."

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Flipper, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Flipper

Flipper Guest

Chick just called me. Her computer is broke. :jerkit: She said the screen says that (or something like that). She said she has restarted and everything, and it's still saying that. She said she hasn't installed anything lately... :squint:

Anybody know what it could be? :wtf:

Safe mode start up -> ???

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

hmm, pretty vague error. Look at the error and see what process is causing the problems. That would be a good start.

3. skooter

skooter Guest

F8 when starting up and goto last known good configuration.. works sometimes.

4. Flipper

Flipper Guest

I remember her saying it says something about go to safe mode and exit (< that might not be the right word) recently installed application/devices or something like that. But she said she hadn't installed anything recently. ::hs: :dunno:

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Windows XP?

MS Blaster Worm?

6. Bhaive_01

Bhaive_01 .

:bigthumb:

7. Flipper

Flipper Guest

Yea, XP.

That virus? It's the one you get if you don't have SP1 installed right? :hs:

So what do I do? Start in safe mode -> Open IE -> Download anti-virus software -> Profit? :dunno:

8. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Neither SP1 (September 9, 2002) SP1a (February 3, 2003) stop the Blaster style viruses (July 16, 2003) from rebooting your machine.

What little information you have given points towards that being the problem. Just do Windows update and life will be good. (NO this does not mean she has the virus, just someone who does has her address or is scanning her network)

9. Flipper

Flipper Guest

So:

Safe mode start up -> Windows updates

And it will fix itself? :wtf:

10. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

11. Chimpa Codigo

Chimpa Codigo Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Modulators

kinda, but not really. You might have to deactivate the shutdown settings on the process that's causing your computer to restart (usually the RPC [still couldn't figure out why the hell they had the option to restart when it crashed on in the first place, but i guess complete stability is better than walking with 1 leg :dunno: ]). Usually the blaster worm won't allow you to stay online for more than a few minutes...also make sure that she gets a virus protection program and if she doesn't have one get her one.

12. Flipper

Flipper Guest

How do you deactivate the shutdown setting so it doesn't restart?

Also, if it's saying it's shutting down to prevent harming my system, will forcing it to not shutdown enable the 'harming,' so to speak? :hs:

13. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Heres what you do:

1) Computer should be off.
    2) Tell her to unplug her cable/dsl/whatever modem - either the power or the ethernet cable itself (ethernet preferred).
    3) Boot up computer.

If the message does not appear then it is definately the blaster worm.

Fix:
    Download this (obviously not from the infected computer):
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

Burn on CD or what-have-you.

Download Microsoft Patch.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

?????
    Profit.

This is not a virus that gets infected then you can format to get rid of it. It is a security hole in windows - this is why there is WINDOWS UPDATE. If you don't use windows update you get infected with this shit.

It's like driving a car but never doing maintenance.

14. DiScoTeknix

DiScoTeknix Guest

if you want to get rid of the shutdown thing... start | run | "shutdown -a" it is a temporary way of keeping your pc from shutting down, best way is to make a shortcut for "shutdown -a" and put it in your task bar or something. run msconfig and disable the blaster or teekids or nachi or whatever the hell it's called. enjoy:big grin: