A post from Myspace.com's health and fitness forum...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by timberwolf, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:eek4:

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

My dad is a ten-foot-tall, two-ton son of a bitch who could eat a hammer and take a shotgun blast standing!

3. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

HERES TO BlLL BRASKI

4. Grouch

Grouch Guest

:bowdown:

5. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

6. Searcher

Searcher New Member

The funny thing is you all laugh at this but if you look at gymnasts the majority of their strength and size come from body weight movements. I am pretty sure that 90% of us would all like to have that look and strength.

7. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Can gymnasts can do 80-90 dips within one minute followed by 80-90 pullups???

I really don't know... but the father isn't a gymnast even, but a boxer.

8. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I agree the claims are kinda out of touch......I was only disputing the fact that you can get an incredible physique from body weight movements and strength too...

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Original post that started the thread...

So its not whether you can get a good physique doing only pushups and pullups...which most would concede to...but that its superior for strenght gains to weights.

10. Searcher

Searcher New Member

well you have to define strength first off....because their aren't to many body builders that can do the moves a gymnast can do....I would venture to say pound for pound a gymnast is relatively close to strength per body weight....

11. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

my dad is a puny bitch and I could crush him since i was 16

12. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Hmmm...
    I'm sure you do know there's more than simply strength involved in what gymnasts can do. While strength is a factor, it takes balance, coordination and technique as well. In powerlifts, while technique is definitely a factor, I'd venture to say it relies more on brute strength than gymnastics does. Therefore powerlifts would measure brute strength far better than gymanstics IMO...

And to reiterate.... the initial post was pushups and pullups are the best exercise to gain strength. Relatively close in strenght doesn't cut it...

Nor do I think we need to define strength. When we see the strongest man in the world... they're not doing the iron cross to demonstrate it are they?

13. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

my dad this, my dad that. i bet the poster is a skinny lil bitch who :bowdown: to his daddy.

as far as gymnast's go, they really dont do any regular weight training. they're still incredibly strong. this is partialy due to their size (you hear about the short guys always lifting weight that should be too much for them proportionaly). on t nation there is an interview with a gymnast coach who talks about the first time he ever deadlifted (after being in gymnastics for a time) he pulled twice his weight, and did a chinup with 50% body weight. a student of his pulled 400 deadlift at 135, and chinups with 75 pounds on the belt. then the belt snapped. this was at 5'3". they're strong lil dudes.

14. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

The one who made the post actually says she can squat 370lbs. Which because she's a track athlete I didn't even doubt until the post about her father.

Thing is most athletes, whether it be gymnastics, speed skating or a sprinter.... if they're capable of achieving a certain level in their given sports they're already likely genetically gifted with probably a higher percentage of fast twitch fibres than most of the population as well as other genetic advantages.

Still it comes down to two athletes training through different methods. One by benchpress, the other by pushups.
    I still maintain the one doing only pushups will end up a distant second if everything else being equal.

15. Searcher

Searcher New Member

timberwolf...would you say that pushups and pullups aren't some of the best excercises for strength for the upper body....I would think they are two of the best....granted could you get stronger with weights maybe....depends on if you very what type of pushups and pullups you do.....

16. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Pushups do NOTHING to build great strength. You can get to a low level of strength and then build great endurance with pushups but nearly everyone I know/knew in the army who did not ever lift weights but could do more than 80 pushups in two minutes were pretty weak (upper body).

17. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Hell, my ex-wife does 50 pushups in one minute and usually hits about 75 in her two minutes time (army regulated pushups, not the half way down or only half way up crap that some people consider to be pushups) and she is pretty weak as well.

18. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Actually for awhile I was doing variations of single arm pullups and variations of single arm pushups if you check my training log a month or two back. And so while I value them, I still recognize their limitations especially in terms of progressive overload.
    Same limitation if someone didn't have access to more weight than 100lbs on the benchpress. Doing sets of 25 reps on the benchpress w/ 100lbs will not afford the same strength gains as doing sets of 5 with 250lbs.
    Most (bodybuilders) do recognize pullups as being superior to pulldowns.

19. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

my dad can do 2 pushups and a quarter of a pullup :cool:

20. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

does anyone know the actual measurements of olympic gymnasts?? you have to take into account that theyre like <150lbs and fucking tiny guys i think they just look proportionally large

21. Z PYRATE

Z PYRATE Guest

It's possible, sounds like a little exaggeration but the fact that you dont need to go to a gym or lift weights to get big is true.

A guy in bakersfield, ca I know sells/installs tires for tractors, trucks and cars...this guy is fucking huge/ripped/jacked whatever you want to call it...and he doesnt lift weights at all, just goes to work.

22. Z PYRATE

Z PYRATE Guest

gymnasts is pretty broad. The guys who do rings/the horse etc. have tiny legs and massive upper bodies :ugh2:

23. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

Animal pak!!

:noes:

24. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

:rofl: yeah fucking massive

to prove my point

[​IMG]

pretty huge huh??

Height : 5'6
    Weight : 137 lbs

thanks, move along

25. Searcher

Searcher New Member

timberwolf......I agree with your statement about the bench analogy....Maybe the guy should have stated that pushups and pullups are the best body weight movements to gain strength....

Personally I would like to have a gymnasts build at 6'4 than a powerlifters build.....but i don't have the discipline yet to diet and do the cardio to get ripped up....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.