A possible solution to my tiny server dilemma.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Feb 7, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

3. deusexaethera

That's a huge frickin' fan. More likely, I'll buy a heatpipe for a Shuttle XPC and use that to cool the CPU -- My plans involve mounting the whole gitup in a 4-bay external SCSI enclosure, so I can transport it with zero effort.

EDIT: Heh...nevermind, I just realized that thing is a hotswap bay. I'm gonna use this one, cause I can get 2TB plus a parity drive without having to buy 750GB disks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817994028. I put a 3-in-2 in my dad's music recording computer and it works very well.

No, I haven't built anything yet. This rig could cost me $1500 to put together, so I'm taking my time and making sure I find everything I really want to use first, so I don't cut corners and regret it later.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I dont give a balls about hot swapping, well, using ide I cant anyway :big grin:
    The coolermaster is much cheaper as and keeps the drives perfectly cool, however that one holds 5 which is sweet.

When you do get it working get a tool to read smart data & keep an eye on temps.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Uh - why two cores?

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If it doesn't do a lot, one core is fine. What is this for?

7. deusexaethera

Anything and everything I'd ever use a server for. SMB, HTTP, FTP, SMTP, VPN, ABC, XYZ, etc...

(grin)

Anyway, I'm only going to build one box because I absolutely refuse to waste electricity running multiple boxes each with one application on them. I may even use Virtual Server to run multiple images so I can have the security of multiple boxes without wasting parts and power. So I'd like it to have a decent amount of oomph.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

:rofl: no body does that at home any more... unless they are bored and have floor space to burn...

9. deusexaethera

Oh good, I'm not the only one. Strangely, I've only ever seen bragging pics of people's home server closets, not of their small-footprint all-in-ones. I guess I'm just more of a tree-hugger than most.

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I don't like those 4in3 drive cages.
    I don't think there would be enough airflow in between the drives for proper cooling.

11. deusexaethera

You'd be surprised. I have a 3-in-2 in my dad's computer and I repositioned the fan to blow air out the front of the cage (to prevent dust accumulation) and you can feel a nice warm breeze coming out. It doesn't need to be gale-force to prevent overheating, unless you're using them constantly like in a DB server or something similar.

12. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

It's not so much that I worry about the drives getting too hot.
    I just like the drives to stay fairly cool. I'm running 4 drives,
    and the hottest one is 90f. With that tight spacing, I think it would be worse.

13. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I use the CM 4in3 in my server and desktop now, it is a brilliant solution. I can post temps if you would like.

I have not found a case with HD cooling that is better. The module spaces the HD similar to most cases.

The only thing it might need is a fan alarm to warn you if the fan stops (or better yet change the fan for a sensor fan and use a motherboard output. 4 HDs stacked in any enclosure will probably overheat without forced cooling.

14. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Code:
    [email protected]:~/testing# sh /sbin/hdtemp.sh
     Temp : | 32C | 34C | 34C | 34C |
    These are segate 250G ide drives in the CM tube. The computer itself is located in a closed stairwell cellar and heats the small room up considerably. Server has been up for 20 days and hds do not spin down. Before using this I tried just a much more powerful and noisy 120mm fan on the front of the case with duct tape shrouds & couldnt keep the drives under 40C.

In my PC the hds sit at about 26C in the middle of the day - also non airconditioned.

15. deusexaethera

90 degrees Fahrenheit isn't going to do anything to a hard drive. And besides, your hottest drive is either your Raptor or your SCSI drive, and because those spin at 10krpm, they pull at least 33% more wattage to spin the spindle than most drives do -- and that's not even considering the extra wattage on top of that to compensate for inefficiency in the system.