A "Please wear your gear" story

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by zatotheck, Jul 30, 2008.

1. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

So let me start off by saying that I'm a complete dumbass.
    Since the age of 16 I had always wanted a sportsbike. I finally saved up some money, took the MSC, and purchased a bike about 2 months ago at the age of 19. Although I passed the MSC, I didn't learn a damn thing from it. My first day owning an R6 I decided to ride without any gear. I was your typical teenage squid. I rode with my buddy who owns a Gixxer 600 and we almost never rode under a 100 on the highway. I finally got a helmet and a jacket, but at times I wouldn't wear the helmet just because I didn't want to mess up my hair. I began riding with a group of guys and though we were geared up most the time, we rode like complete jackass's. We would do burn outs at red lights and we would race each other on the interstate at night. We had a couple of close calls but we continued our ways.
    And then, on the third of this month, my luck came to an end. I took a girl riding with me that night. I was wearing no helmet, no gloves, shorts, a t shirt, and sunglasses. We were just riding down a normal street, there was no cars. Of course, me being a squid and wanting to impress the girl, I speed. I hit about a hundred and continue down the street and then stop at a red light. The girl tells me to be careful and she's a little scared. The light went green and I started speeding again. Because it was 2am and I was wearing sunglasses, I couldn't see too well. I failed to see the curvature of the road and I ended up hitting the median going about 80. The bike went over on its right side and both our bodies slid down the street. All I could see was sparks flying from my new R6 scraping the ground. All I could think about is how fucking stupid I am for hurting this girl. I slid about 120 yards and I was able to get up immediately after I stopped sliding. I ran over to the girl and she got up as well. We didn't really feel the extent of our wounds because we had so much adrenaline in our system. We were lucky to be alive. We both went to the emergency room in an ambulance, but neither of us had any internal damage. Neither of us hit our head or broke any bones. We were very lucky indeed. I did, however, have to get a skin graft on my right leg because of severe road rash. I didn't even care about my damage, all I could think about was the girl and how I was completly responsible for all her pain.
    We are both recovering well now, she is pretty much completly recovered and working again. My leg is still being treated but is healing well.
    I think I have learned my lesson from this. I do think that I will get back on a bike again some day, but I will never again ride without full gear, and I will never again ride dangerously. About 5 days ago, a friend of mine died in a bike accident. He hit an exit sign going about 70 while trying to get back on the highway after he already started exiting.
    So, after all this. I just want to let you guys know the importance of riding with gear. If I had been wearing a helmet (which has a clear visor) I would have been able to see. I also wouldn't have faced nearly as much road rash. And if you have someone on the back, make sure they wear a helmet too. I probably would have killed myself if the girl died and I lived.

Please feel free to verbally abuse me as I am a stupid squid. Thanks for reading my story.

2. desired_apathy

desired_apathy New Member

live and learn. you shouldn't act like a jackass with a passenger though. that should be pretty damn obvious :dunno:

3. ///M

///M New Member

4. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

dawt

5. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

Hopefully you learned something. It's probably a good idea to give yourself a few years to mature before you start riding again.

6. 7960

7960 New Member

riding with gear is important but so is riding with brains.

glad the girl is ok. you're lucky she hasn't sued you.

7. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

(yet)

8. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

It's sad that you had a passenger. Just be thankful that you are both alive. l hope her insurance company doesn't sue you to be liable for her medical bills.

9. itchypony

itchypony New Member

good message

10. 7960

7960 New Member

it's an awful message.

the more I read this the more I think this guy hurt someone else, needed skin grafts on himself, had to deal with the death of a friend, and STILL didn't learn the right lesson.

the lesson isn't "wear your gear while you're riding like an asshole." the lesson is "don't ride like an asshole"

11. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

glad the girls alright.

12. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

bingo. This has nothing to do with gear and everything to do with being a squid.
    This comment tells me more than anything...

No...
    You were riding with sunglasses, at night, speeding.

I don't feel bad about you getting hurt, I somewhat don't feel bad for the girl because she willingly got on the back of your bike without a helmet and stayed on the back even though you were riding recklessly.

Now that this little life lesson has happened, I hope you can learn from it and get a different mindset next time you decide to straddle a bike (and I would recommend if you do, it's on something else)

Ok, done flaming, now it's time to work on positives.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  13. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

not just speeding, 80+ on a surface street... that's excessive.

sounds to me like don't be a fucktard. I am on sometimes, but at least I wear gear and do it at lower speeds.

14. huangsta

huangsta OT Supporter

15. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

How do you assume I didn't learn my lesson. I don't think I would be making a topic, such as this one, if I didn't learn my lesson.
    Did I not say that I will never ride again dangerously? Did I not continuously say how stupid I realized I was for riding so carelessly?

16. 7960

7960 New Member

becuase you started off with " a please wear your gear story" and went on about how many stupid things you did that had nothing to do with not wearing gear.

you and that innocent girl would be 100% fine today if you wore sandals and no helmet and shorts AND SLOWED THE FUCK DOWN. But no, this story is begging people to wear gear while they ride like assholes. Fanfuckingtastic message there son.

17. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

Not really. Don't be a dunce.

18. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Im scared shitless when i have passengers, one slip up and you might end their life.

19. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

wow...
    I don't want to be honest here

20. Trey-D

Trey-D New Member

qfmft!

i wear full gear everytime i ride. still doesnt give me the excuse to ride like a total fucking, brainless, out of control, retarted immature, stupid, jackass, motherfucker.
    if i was out riding and saw you doing that shit, i would break both your leggs for you

21. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

So is the moral of this story that it's okay to ride like a jackass as long as you wear your gear? Cause that's what I got from this story.

22. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

Thanks.

23. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Just wondering if your insurance covers passengers. Hope she doesn't sue you.

24. 7960

7960 New Member

I hope she does.

25. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Rip his balls off?