GUN A new handgun to love

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I know that most of us on here consider ourselves to be somewhat frugal. However, in a true SHTF scenario; quality always trumps cost. I may have found the answer two the problem of cost vs quality in a sidearm.

I sold off my 1911 a few years ago, and have regretted it every since. I have several other sidearms, but believe that every collection should include a .45. I was planning on buying a Springfield XD-45, but had some unexpected bills come up. I figured I needed a .45 now, ( okay I just wanted one to play with) so I started searching for cheaper alternitives. I have known about HI-Point firearms for awhile now but never considered getting a new untill I did some homework. After studying for a couple weeks I decided to get one, and went and picked it up tonight. Here is what I know.

Hi Point is 100% Made in America. They come with a lifetime warranty. Not the life of the owner, the life of the gun. If your grandkids experience a malfunction with it, Hi Point will replace it for free. I have talked to many people and read acoounts where owners have fired over 100,000 rounds and NEVER EXPERIENCED A MALFUNCTION. My gun dealer told me he had a customer who dropped his weapon on the floor of his garage and damaged it. He called the company and they sent him new gun and a magazine for his troubles.

Gun Test Magazine has tested them, and has rated them as high as some $1000 guns. Their durability is unbelievable.

I have thus far ran 50 rounds through the gun. It has not had a hiccup. They are bulky, not pretty, and only hold 9 rounds in the mag. My view on pistols is that for the most part, they are defensive weapons. If they can shoot into a pie plate continually at 25 yards, they are good. Reliablity is much more important to me than extreme accuraccy in a defensive sidearm.

The biggest negative thus far on the weapon besides the bulkiness factor is the trigger pull. Waaaaaaayyyyyy too long. I am quite sure it could be cleaned up.

Thus far my AAR is 95% positive. Keep in mind this is a brand new handgun with a lifetime warranty for under $200. As I test further I'll keep you informed.

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

WTF?

1911 for under $200? :eek4:

3. mvizos

mvizos New Member

I've got a hi-point 9mm carbine. they get a LOT of shit on the forums. usually from people that have never owned / shot one.

Is it ugly? Yes.
    Is it heavy? Yes.

Has it ever failed me? No.

If something were happening where I had to bring a gun that was most likely going to get fucked up, it'd be the hi-point. simply because if something does happen, the factory fixes it, and I don't have to be gentle with it. it's already pug-fugly. (even with the ati stock)

4. imperial

imperial Lurker | Gun | STI Crew OT Supporter

Trolling.......

5. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Until you have used it in a drive-by, you have no experienced what the pistola was designed for sanchito.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm insulted that you'd even think that of me.

But you're right. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=613105

(I also think 1/3rd of the people that read this thread are never going to see this post and will think of me as the hipoint tard from now on)

7. itchiban

itchiban New Member

That carbine is the only one I'd ever consider owning.

8. itchiban

itchiban New Member

You had me til 'XD' :hsugh:

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Who needs an XD?! FIFTY rounds....thats rock solid reliability. You can spend the remaining $400 on lasers and gas masks.

10. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

I've gone to the gun shop numerous times ready to buy one and jsut cant bring myself to do it

11. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I've done that myself. I saw one for 140 a few years back at my local shop not knowing it was a decent value. I should have bought it then and refuse to pay more than that now. :o

12. mvizos

mvizos New Member

my dealer won't sell them. I had one transferred in. every ATF trace he's had has been on a hi-point. I'll leave you to figure that one out :hsugh:

He transferred it to me because I'm not thugged out (despite my recent purchase of a tec9 & tec22 :run:...I apparently just have a soft spot for shitty guns :rofl:)

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Wow. Can't say anything without sounding stuck up...

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:rofl: I read all the way until '50 rounds' and then figured it was a joke

15. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I personally was wondering when the fuck Soy ever owned a 1911.

gg.

16. Formula-95

Formula-95 2:32 PM 5-13-09 Never Forget, Hamburglar OT Supporter

do not want

17. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I've read epic poems from owners of eleventy-thousand dollar custom 1911s claiming rock-solid reliability after a mere fifty rounds of trouble-free operation :hsugh:

18. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

19. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I spit out the bait at 50 rounds

20. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I've got a 9mm Hi-Point. Their guns are ugly and are not as much a joy to shoot as they could be due to the cheap trigger, but I do find it has a nice controllable balance to it once you get used to the feel (very top-heavy, due to having a cast slide and polymer frame. It weighs a ton, definitely not a carry piece.

Mine has had hundreds of rounds of cheap ammo through it and never had a failure since one or two FTLs the first time I took it out.

Apparently Hi-Points in general do not feed hollowpoints well, although I have not tested with any myself. I do not think there is a whole lot to be done about the feeding or the trigger, but these are meant to be affordable and basic personal defense weapons, for which ball ammo is just fine IMO (it's a lot better than nothing). And for target shooting obviously that does not matter at all.

21. THT

THT The easy way is always mined