SRS A New Face for A.D.H.D., and a Debate

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EYOB, Nov 25, 2008.

1. EYOB

EYOB Guest

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/25/health/25well.html?no_interstitial

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You know maby you should just start building something each day, starting small, maby doing some construction, or baking a cake, anything in order to accomplish something so you can experience a building and going to work ethos attitude. I know its hard tho to change your previous lifestyle.

3. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

:ugh: what?

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its a response on earlier threads eyob made. :wavey:

5. off the grid

off the grid Guest

there is no such thing as ADHD

6. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

ADHD is a real disorder. Whether or not it is overdiagnosed is questionable. However, it still does exist.

7. off the grid

off the grid Guest

Your insisting as much doesn't make it so. You can't just "decide" a disorder into existence.

8. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

My claim is backed up by years of research. YOUR claim is the one that is simply trying to DECIDE that a disorder doesn't exist.

I personally think ADHD is highly overdiagnosed, but there are real cases where people need therapy/medication in order to live normal lives.

9. off the grid

off the grid Guest

Your opinion is utterly stupid, not backed by a shred of valid research, and doesn't deserve to be taken seriously by anyone with an IQ above 35.

10. Priapus

Priapus Banned

Not true.

It can be detected using brain imaging and other forms of scientific measurement. It is recognized and categorized in the DSM IV.

Is it overdiagnosed and are many kids prescribed stimulants for it who probably do not have it? Yes. But there is ample scientific evidence that it is very real and people who have it know how real it is. Like most neurological conditions, especially subtle ones, it is not completely understood but it is most definitely a very real phenomenon.

11. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

This n00b knows something.

This n00b does not.

12. off the grid

off the grid Guest

Oh gosh, well if it's recognized by the DSM-IV then it must be real.

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Brain scans beg to differ. Various neuropsychological tasks do too.

14. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

ADHD is a very real condition, often an organic or biological illness lays are the source of the condition. Very subtle things to very big things can cause the condition, and it's very common as a consequence of how fragile the human mind is, especially during early development.

A slight error during birth, or a medication the mother took unknowingly and mixed with another -- can lead to zero symptoms, and at the end of the game, the child is born with "slight" abnormalities, of course Attention Deficit can be on symptom.

Brain damage, other psychiatric conditions can pour over, because the brain doesn't work specifically alone, but rather like a symphony. If the percussion skips a beat, other instruments may momentarily not play harmoniously.

External factors, such as violence, or abuse, punching or hitting the child, exposing the young to drugs in youth that can cause damage. Toxins in the environment, water, housing cleaning chemicals, as well as hundreds of other things.

You can expose a child to a serious psychological trauma and produce the condition.

There are so many factors that can lead to the problem, but the reality is, when left untreated, it has a spectrum from crippling disability all the way, to a minor momentary lapse of concentration while reading a book. There are people who have the condition and don't even know, and never will know, because it's so minor.

Those who deny it's existence know nothing about neuropsychiatry, Neurobiology, modern imaging and nuclear medicine's support, blood testing, universal studies supporting the conclusion of it's reality and onward. It can be diagnosed using objective information.

The problem with ADHD isn't whether it exists, but rather why do doctors and psychologists often turn a blind eye to the possible causes of the illness, and box the child or adult (Adults suffer with it too) into a diagnosis that they can't get much support on, beyond some cookie cutter medication especially if they're complaining of things more than just ADHD.

ADHD is an unbrella diagnosis sometimes, a waste basket diagnosis, but that doesn't mean it isn't true, real, and valuable. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, -- these are other diagnosis falling in the same way.

Something causes the conditions, just because you don't know what it is, doesn't mean you don't treat it, and it doesn't mean you don't recommend the patient attempt to find out, or refer them onward.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  15. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

:ugh: :rofl:

16. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Another insightful post as always. :bigthumb:

17. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

He has one point, it's true that just because it's listed DVM-IV doesn't mean we understand it, or that it even belongs. However that is the exception. In this case there is no debate among those who actually know what they're talking about -- like Global Warming.

Homosexuality was a good example. It was listed, but.... it didn't belong. But, that's where my support for his/her position ends. He/she is incorrect otherwise.

18. CaptainSerious

CaptainSerious Member

interesting article..
    Of course being told "theres something wrong with you, youre not like other kids" is going to cause someone to feel helpless about their situation.
    I think its good to acknowledge that Add/Adhd is not totally a disability.

19. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Like many conditions it can cause exceptional compensation on other areas, leading to some of the world's most profound writers, artists, researchers, musicians and so forth. They suffered terribly, but thankfully it forced them to become great in an area that could focus or cope so they could feel normal or worthwhile among their peers and family or community.

The other side of the coin is the immense emotional toll, frustration, struggle and crippling self esteem that can come with a condition which is "not disabling" -- depending who is labeling it.

The reality is, if you're diagnosed with ADHD, it means you struggled enough to get noticed or to see a physician. And that would suggest that most cases aren't "minor" but rather interrupt in someone's quality of life.

I think when someone writes an article like this, and clearly it attempts to speak for the disorder itself, it can be misleading and cause the general public to be dismissive, especially if patients with "minor" illness start coming out of the wood work saying "It's not big deal."

I know exactly what that's like. A lot of people who get Lyme Disease and get diagnosed immediately may feel horribly ill for a few weeks, and then the antibiotic therapy cures them.

Then when people like me show up, they say "He's a fuckin' whiney baby, it's no big deal, I got Lyme Disease, then I got treated, and then I got better, look at me, I'm fine." This goes a long way in really helping my cause, and yet I hear about it all the time from big mouthed fuckin' retards who think they speak for me and others like me.

One patient can't speak for the whole spectrum of an entire disorder by telling their individual story, or boxing the condition in by talking about all the "great" benefits of having the disorder.

20. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

That's not really what I was meaning - it seemed as if he was trying to say that the ONLY reason ADD is a real disorder is because it is listed in the DSM-IV.

21. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Yeah I knew where you were coming from. The only reason it's a real disorder is because, well....it is, especially for those suffering from it.

Shocking, right?

22. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

I think ADHD is a real disorder, however I think many parents are quick to label their children.

23. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

:ugh:

24. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

what the hell is up with people discrediting the DSM-IV and acting like it is a book of lies made to back up some conspiracy lately :rofl:

25. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

ADD can be really incredible sometimes. When allowed freedom the advantages are very strong.

Visual/3D thinking
    Enhanced creativity, outside of the box ideas
    Weed or other drug-like clarity in thought
    Thrill seeking courage
    Hyperfocusing
    Powerful initial motivations
    Endless brainstorming
    Multitasking
    Ability to make sense out of unorganization/disorder
    Great sense of humor
    Unusual observations