A&P A macro lens you never knew you had

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jcolman, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

If you own a "normal" lens for a 35mm camera (50mm or thereabouts) and it's removable did you know that it can be used as a macro lens?

Take the lens off the camera and turn it around. Open up the aperture all the way. Hold the lens up to the lens mount with your left hand. Now look through the viewfinder at some small object. Presto! You have a macro lens.

Getting a correct exposure reading is a bit tricky as you have to take the lens away from the camera, open or close the apeture until your in-camera meter gives you a correct reading. You also have to hold the lens tight against the camera body so as to not let light leak through but it can be done.

I've taken several "macro" shots this way, and while your depth of field is practially nil, you can get some interesting shots.

A 50mm lens works best but you can also use a wide angle lens too. The results will be different. Give it a try.

Jim

2. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

i had a link which explained it all

plus, you can buy a reversal ring to attach it to your camera instead of holding the lens with your hand

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Sorry typeS, I didn't know you'd already mentioned this. You're right about the reversal ring as well. I never bought one as I had a bellows that I used for close up work but a couple times I used the old "hold the lens with your hand" trick.

Cheers
    Jim

4. _syn

_syn New Member

Examples?

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I'd love to post some of my old photos but all I shoot is transpariences and I don't have a scanner. Besides, I haven't picked up my still camera in years. I shoot video for a living now. Maybe some day I'll see if I can find a scanner and post some of my work.

Jim

6. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

I've always known about this but I've never tried it cause I have a true 1:1 macro lens :o. Just bought a 50mm f/1.8 though so I'm gonna try it out. I heard it only works with f/1.4 or faster lenses though. Is this true?

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Bioyuki.
    I don't know of any reason why this trick wouldn't work with any 50mm lens, regardless of it's "speed".

You'd be hard pressed to see much difference between a f/1.8 and f/1.4 lens.

Jim

8. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

take a step ring and actually screw the reverse lens onto the lens your using.