A love letter to Shutter Island....

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Stilgar1973, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Don't worry, I won't spoil anything.

9 months ago I saw the trailer for Shutter Island. I didn't know what to think of it. Martin Scorsese .... doing a haunted house flick? And Leonardo Dicaprio... what was up with that Boston accent?

Then I read a quick write up of the upcoming (remember 9 months ago) movie. What I read really did bill it as Martin's first horror movie.

WTF???? Martin is an artist. This guy is too good for horror movies. And this goddamn thing looks like a haunted house flick to boot. Tell me the esteemed director isn't really slumming it like this.

And for a long time that is all I knew.

I kept seeing trailers and to me they all looked the same way. I got less and less excited for this movie as it got closer and closer.

Hell, last week I would have said the above to you.

Then the movie came out Friday.

I took note, it was making fucking GOBS of money.

I didn't really know what to make of that.

Then I saw the positive reviews here. Then I noticed it was getting great reviews all over the damned place.

Then I read a short interview with Martin where he said, 'This is my homage to Alfred Hitchcock.'.

WELL FUCK YOU VERY MUCH, YOU COULD HAVE SAID AS MUCH 9 FUCKING MONTHS AGO!!!

That was enough for me. I love Martin Scorsese. He makes the best fucking films. I can even put up with Leonardo for a few hours if it means I get to take in the art that Martin puts on the screen.

Listen to me very closely.

This is indeed an homage to Alfred Hitchcock. It is not a horror film. While it is very early in the year to be saying this... it might be the best fucking movie you see all year.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE IN A THEATER. THE BIGGEST SCREEN YOU CAN FIND.

It is art. It is fun. Martin brought his 'A' game to this one.

Oh and the twist. There is one. Watch for it. Watch the entire movie for it. Maybe you will figure it out, maybe you won't.