A&P A little Urban Exploration

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ftslogger, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

2. Grizzly Mint

Grizzly Mint New Member

very nice. I wish there was stuff to explore around here

3. free_notes

free_notes New Member

what do you like about it?

for me it seems much too busy. my eyes are wandering all over the frame and i'm not catching any inherent energies that suggests a focus. there are objects that float off the canvas that somehow demand attention (maybe just because they're in the foreground) but don't have any strong sense of being or presence.

4. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

Looks like good fun. the 12-24 is :bowdown:

5. DRAIGON

DRAIGON New Member

looks like the inside of a burnt warehouse.

6. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Urban exploration photos are usually about documenting an experience over making artsy pics, though.

7. free_notes

free_notes New Member

documentation still requires sensibilities of composition. otherwise they're just snapshots.

8. SugarCoatedSour

In your interpretation of the sense, maybe. That's subjective.

9. free_notes

free_notes New Member

this issue is related to an earlier post where someone said "if you like it, who cares?" which is completely hermetic and doesn't communicate an idea. though not specifically asked for, an image posted here is expected to be critiqued as a communicative piece of work. composition theory does have a set of basic rules based on human perception, which implies an audience and thus communication. this is why people go to art and photography schools, otherwise we can all just read a camera manual and shoot away and expect to create powerful images.

my critique is subjective yes, as is all critique. but i'm trying to be as objective as i can. i'm not saying "i don't like this, or that," but exposing some basic cognitive reactions that i think any viewer will have. recognition of this will drive work upwards.

10. SugarCoatedSour

Just because someone attends an art or photography school doesn't necessarily mean they'll command a better internal sense of composition than someone else that hasn't attended a traditional art school.

You easily come off as an elitist art student in your posts and you conceptualize far too much. Whatever makes you feel better.

11. free_notes

free_notes New Member

when i say art or photography i am including contemporary as well as traditional academies. their agendas are different, as well as their tools, but they're all training sensibilities.

what makes any comment i say elitist? have i told anyone that one method of working is better than another? my comments are not meant to be attacking, but will inherently be biased just as anyone else's comments will be. i observe what seems to be successful or unsuccessful, and what i have learned about the world and humanity, and pass those observations along for the benefit of any reader. this is how i learn, and probably how many others learn also.

am i not formally an art student, though i have taken a few courses in various schools. i am, however, a full-time architecture graduate student and will therefore have corresponding biases. should i have made this clear in the beginning? would it have changed your interpretation of my comments or even dismiss them altogether? if you're going to generalize my discipline to be a concentration of arrogance or elitism, as has been the case with many architect critics, so be it. i have no control over your opinion. but i would encourage you to be more aware of your environment and culture.

12. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

The idea for this photo shoot is to get out there and shoot. I wasn't going after a particular style, expression, or ethos. Urbex is for documenting the places that have been forgotten or ruined. There is no way in that burning building would I arrange things to make a particular statement or make the photo more interesting - I let the destruction speak for itself.

I like to get in places that have been left abandoned, or are near destruction. The bathroom pictures are what is left of old campground at what was PTL. They have been left to vandals, animals, and nature. This was also part a lens test...I just bought a Ultra Wide Angle, and wanted to shoot with it.