GUN a little too young

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cabriolet, Feb 15, 2007.

1. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

2. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

His stance is all wrong. :o

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

4. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

5. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

:rofl: at the comments

6. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

Y'know, I've let my 2-year old play with the trigger on my paintball guns (he LOVES that), but have taught him that my firearms are not for touching. All of my kids know that rule. At the range, the youngest they'll hit the line is 10. I figure that much younger than that, and they might not retain the safety rules as well. Even then, only under strict supervision.

That kid in the video is barely old enough to be standing up on his/her own. Just crazy.

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

im thinking about 6-8 is a good age to get started on a 22

8. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

It greatly depends on the 6-8 year old. :) Some can handle it, some... not so much. All of my kids (I have 5) have grown up around both firearms and my paintball gear. They know what's safe, what's dangerous, how to handle and when to handle, muzzle respect, etc. I think the biggest key is having the base respect for any projectile device. Natch, the duty of teaching that falls to the parents. If a parent lets their kids learn about guns from TV and movies, they're going to think that what they've seen is proper handling, and that's when people get hurt/dead.

9. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

true father son bonding

10. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

As long as he is still holding the gun. Not like he handed it to his son and said "Here, go play with this"

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I think the kid is too young to be holding a firearm (a quick move from the kid to the front of the barrel when the dad is "helping" him pull the trigger and you have an injured child), but I have no problems with a responsible parent teaching very early. Hell, I was 4 years old when my dad helped me shoot a rabbit with a 12g for the first time.

I think once the child is old enough to understand that the front end is dangerous, they're old enough for starting if you feel comfortable.

12. Finest

Finest OG #93

I once shoved a .22 up my wife's vagina to give my unborn child some time to get used to the grip. :wiggle:

13. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I think 6+ is the right age, it depends on the kid. The real keys that the kid can separate a toy gun from a real gun, and not think that shooting is a "game". If the kid grows up fearing guns, you'll end up with Sarah Brady. But if the kid can't respect the gun for what it can do, it's an accident waiting to happen.

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I don't think you should start on actual firearms until about 9 or so, but anything below that i reccomend an airgun. It's less powerful, and will teach the basics without potential of serious injury or death. once they learn responsibility from the airgun, it will carry over to firearms.

15. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I'm all for teaching your children about firearms at a young age, the benefits are uncalculable.
    But that just may be taking it a little too far. To each his own, and I'm sure his intentions are good... but a little common sense is in order here.