A little help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by spook, Oct 11, 2006.

1. spook

spook OT Supporter

I'm pretty good at maintaining a computer to where it runs very well all the time, but something is amiss with my laptop. The windows loading screen takes a good five minutes before the login screen appears. When I click through the start menu or through my folders everthing is ok. However, programs are running very slow. Even when I tried to listen to music it sounds like I'm listening to a scratched disk in a cd player, it stops playing for seconds at a time throughout the song. I'm going through and deleting some of the things I've recently installed even though I doubt that's the problem, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

How much free space is on your hard drive?
    How much RAM do you have?
    When's the last time you defragged?

3. spook

spook OT Supporter

25.3 gigs
    896 MB
    Yesterday

4. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

spook...

I had an issue with my friends Viao laptop, the bootup was a loooong time before it hit the desktop. Even with the defrag and all the typical clean up stuff in XP, I found out there was spyware/malware on the system. Even using the antispyware prog to remove it there was other stuff on there that couldn't remove it.

Recommendation: Check your 'processes' in your Task Manager. Normally in WinXP, there are average 30-35 processes after a fresh bootup (but it can vary depending what is loading in start up). Check and google some of your ".exe" processes to identify if you could have some kind of spyware. It is common these days and I've seen it on friend's pc's.

First signs of spyware is a slow, slugish pc and a long extended boot up time.
    Sometimes the last resort is to reformat and reinstall XP but I try to avoid it if I can.