A little help on setting up two wireless networks on one laptop? (Problems)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Jun 23, 2004.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'm having trouble trying to use two different wireless networks on the same laptop. This is my work laptop and I want to set it up to also use my home wireless network. My work network has a domain, but my home does not. Both use 128-bit security and the passcodes are setup for both.

The work connection work great and has, but everytime I connect to my home network, it does not work. It will connect with a good speed, but will only send packets, not receive.

There are about 5 of us at work with laptops with wireless connections and they all work fine. Most of them have wireless networks at home and have the same problem, at least trying to connect. Thelucky one is my boss who has multiple wireless networks setup on his machine and it works fine for him.

What am I doing wrong? Is there anything else I can try to get this to work?

Thanks,

CM.

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Make sure you have the correct SSID and network key for the home network. When you see it send but never recieve, it is almost always because the keys are miss-matched. Also, make sure you are not using the same SSID but a different network key for work and home (in other words, if your work wireless network is called WidigetsWireless make sure you do NOT use that same name for your home access point's SSID). You can use the same names IF you use the same passcodes.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Everything is looks setup correctly. I have two profiles in my wireless settings. One SSID for work and one for home. Each have the correct keys since if they didn't I wouldn't be able to even connect. When I try to log in at home it does connect and shows a good connection speed. It just doesn't receive.

The work one is fine and I use it everyday, so it's a matter of adding my home network and getting it to work.

BTW, I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but if I plug in a cable at home it DOES work, just not on wireless.

Any other ideas?

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I'm assuming you are using the software that came with the wireless card.

Windows (XP/2000) has a thing in Services called "Wireless Configuration" or "Zero Configuration Wireless" whatever it's called its at the bottom of your services list. Make sure that you DISABLE this. Windows will fight with your software trying to control your wireless hardware and screw everything up.

I've dealt with some pretty cruddy connection problems with wireless and after switching this setting off (in more than one network) everything cleans right up.

Services are in the Administrative Tools. Click on Properties of the Wireless Config. then Startup should be set to Disabled.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Nope... using the Windows settings for the Network. There isn't a configuration utility for the buil-in card on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 5150)

Thanks for the tip though about turning that serivce off. I went through that situation with my Linksys PC wireless card. I eventually gave up and used the Windows one instead and has been fine since. If I had known about that I would have rather kept the Linksys utility since it's much easier to type in the passcode, than all those keys.

Anyone else? I still have no idea on what to try?

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

If you are connecting to the home network then maybe its not an issue on the laptop. Do you have a computer that is WIRED to the network or any other wireless computer that CAN access the internet/receive.

I connect to two different networks with my laptop (netgear pcmcia card) both with different ssid's and no security keys. I usually have to manually select the network that I'm in that is in the "available networks" when the cards scans. If I don't select it then it won't connect if it was on the other network last.

Maybe you could try using the same ssid and security key on both networks?

7. illuminum

illuminum New Member

Make sure you have your firewall properly configured. When you put up a network with win xp it automatically sets ony up for you. I forgot that and it drove me crazy until I realized it was such a stupid problem.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I currently have 1 wired and 2 wireless machines on that network, but that's the only one they connect to.

I don't want to change the SSID of my home network or take off the security on it.

When the laptop boots, it automatically picks up and it says I'm connected.

If you mean the built-in Windows firewall, it's turned off. The router should be congifured ok since there are other wired and wireless machines.

At work I am on a domain, but that shouldn't matter, right?

I found some settings for my wireless card, so I'll take a look at them this weekend.

Thanks,

CM.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

:dunno: XP will show connected to a router that is broadcasting its SSID but you don't have a key for. If you look at the stats it will show all outbound but no inbound packets. I have 5 different wireless network SSID/Keys on my laptop, and they usually work fine (XP will, for no reason, loose a Key every once in a while).

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

^^ Thanks, I'll check that out. When I go into the wireless properties when it's supposedly connected, I see the dots showing the key is saved, but I'll try again.

CM.