GUN A little expertise needed.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Valence, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

My grandfather has several old shotguns he wants looked at and restored / repaired. The only main problem is an old JC Whitney shotgun - it was the first firearm he ever bought himself and is a 12 gauge pump. Back then shotgun shells had some sort of perforated end with some form of wadding that came through the barrel when shot. Modern shotgun shells are too long once fired, even the 2 and 3/4 inch shells... when shot are too long to be ejected properly.

So my questions are: Can you get an older style shells? Would there be any way to modify it (or have it modified) to accept (and eject properly) newer shells?

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

Pretty much all pellet loads have a wad of some type... newer stuff is usually plastic and the "traditional" stuff is usually fiber.

Are you sure it is chambered for 2.75". Some old shotguns are chambered for 2.5", and there are a few manufacturers still making loads for those.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...categoryId=18491&categoryString=653***9217***

I'm sure there are more options out there, but Midway is usually a good place to start. Regardless, definitely have it looked over by a gunsmith. He should be able to tell you what it is chambered for, and if it can handle modern cartridge pressures.

3. millero

millero Aluminum Member

sprite, i think hes saying when the shell opens up (after the shot) the shell is too long to fit in the gun. the older style shells that hes talking about didnt have the plastic at the end but instead had something else holding all the lead in the shell (what hes calling the wadding).

4. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

exactly. You can cycle through 2.75 and 3 inch shells all day long with no problem.... as long as you don't fire one. It will fire just fine... after firing the spent shell is too long to be properly ejected. The ends are crimped and after fired they add a bit of length to the shell, which makes it just a little too long to be ejected properly.

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Likely was designed for the old school paper cartridges. You can still find those in new production (look for places that specialize in cowboy action type stuff). I'd be more worried that modern day cartridges operate at too-high pressures for the gun. Check with a gunsmith, or ask around some places that deal with older stuff.

Some of those old shotguns are not at all safe to be fired with modern ammo.

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

Even all the paper cartridges I know of use a regular end-folded crimp. :dunno:

7. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

They do still make 2 and 2.5" shotgun shells, that is probably what you need.

8. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

where might I find them?

9. sprite

sprite Active Member

Check the link in my first post.

10. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

will do, from home. Websense at work.

11. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

12. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

http://www.rstshells.com/

These are what a lot of the Parker Guns guys shoot.