A little B18C question (attn: Honda/Acura crew) Help I need a mechanic!!!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by fakirone, Nov 14, 2007.

1. fakirone

fakirone OT ex-con, I hate the Mods

Okay, so it's been a seriously long frickin' time since I've had/owned/wrenched on a Honda, but I'm looking at getting another one.
    I need a little on road fun in my life and I found a 1991 Civic hatch with a b18 swap for about $2000.
    There are a couple of little problems with the car and I need some help to see if it's worth me getting/fixing this car.
    The first is that the car is over heating because the fan switch is busted, not installed, whatever. I got that. The second is that, because the car was overheating this douchbag kid, who's mommy bought him the car, over heated it and blew the head gasket. The head gasket has been fixed, but there is still an error code saying that the "cam position sensor" is off.
    The car is running a little rich when cold, is this being caused by this sensor? If it is, how serious of a repair is it?

2. xbishopx

xbishopx deusexaethera is a fucking idiot.

what obd is the motor?

iirc, the cam sensors in the dizzy, in which case id just try a different one.

do you know what wiring harness they used?

3. miahmouse

miahmouse crash test dummy

In a swapped car the sensor issue could be any number of things... Wiring being a big one... Some of the hackjobs people do are just scary.
    1. check wiring
    2. swap dizzy if possible
    3. ECU and year of engine? I thought they only had crank and cylinder position sensors? Crank sensor will cause it to run like crap.
    The fan switch... replace it regardless... even if it works it may be the wrong one... If the part # is worn off there's no way to tell(different ones run at different temps). Make sure the coolant system is bled thoroughly bled and the thermostat is functioning. Replace the radiator cap. Make sure the fan is working by applying 12v directly, check fuse and continuity b/w fuse panel and fan.

4. xbishopx

xbishopx deusexaethera is a fucking idiot.

lulz.

did you not notice my identical post above yours?

5. fakirone

fakirone OT ex-con, I hate the Mods

I don't know the answers to those questions as I haven't seen the car yet, but I thinknthat it's a b18c from an Integra (us).
    I'm just trying to see how big a problem the sensor repair might be to deal with.

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

this sounds like too much of a hassle.

7. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Gonna have to agree with this man. I mean, sure these are the issues you know about, God knows what else is wrong under that bonnet. Sloppy engine swaps FTMFL.

Just as an aside, the head might actually be warped if it overheated and blew a head gasket. That'd be my biggest concern.