SRS A how much do you earn? Thread.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Darketernal, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

American wages are a lot better then European wages, well that is at least if you would believe that most OT'ers would post they make more then 100 k a year. Now of course that would be exaggerated, but stil..

I consider myself 'humble' when it comes to money, you die and you'll lose your money anyway so im not 'attached' to it.

My problem is i still live with my parents,and houses are around 320 000$ (and that's a cheap one)

i work 40 hours a week ,and earn around 16 800$ a year.

Im single, and a simple calculation

320 000/16 800 = 19,05 years(lets say i spend a little money it would take 20 years)

It would take me 20 years ,just to pay for the house. In other words there's no way in hell i will be able to pay for a house.

Although its personal, i assure you i will not make any judgements towards what you earn. But the problem is i can't 'place' myself amongst other people because no one will talk about their personal income thus making it for me unable to compare , i hoped that with the anonymous and hopefully more serious forum that this is, i could get a decent reply.

2. miniml

miniml New Member

ill assume youre speaking of gross income

by pure numbers:

($10 an hour * 40+ hours a week * 52 weeks in a year) + ($70 a month for parking * 12 months)

$20,800 + $840

$21,640

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Absolutely nothing, but the benefits are tremendous.
    I am a stay at home mom.

4. miniml

miniml New Member

i dont think i could handle being one of those

you basically work for free

doesnt thaat rile you up on the grounds of "womans rights"?

5. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I earn just $11 hourly, which is about 22,000 a year. It's not too great, but the city I live in is considered #1 of major US cities for a low cost of living to quality of life ratio. I trying to get hired on another place that goes up to about $20 a hour, which will be a huge difference for me.

Unfortunatly, that's not the way home loans work. Most loans will allow your monthy payment to be about 28-32% of your gross pay, so at $16,800 per year, your monthly payments would max out at about $448 per month, which is only the principal payment and not even including interest, property tax, insurance, etc. With your gross pay, once you factor in the real costs involved, you're looking at a loan amount of around $45,000 for a 30 year loan.

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Not at all and I am actually quite the feminist. I believe that women should have the CHOICE to do what they want in their life, and no matter what the choice (working or staying home) they should be supported for their decision.

Yes I do work for free (as I stated, my income is absolutely nothing not counting the stuff I sell on Ebay for some extra money). It is a tremendous amount of work also, but it isn't that different from being a working mother. I simply have more time to cook/clean/spend time with my child etc.

My child has definetly benefited from it though. I just stopped working in January so I could go to school (and I do most of it online so I am pretty much always home). I also enjoy being able to actually spend time with her without the added stress of work. I am able to cook decent healthy meals without the stress of time. I love it. Sadly though I need to go back to work soon. :wtc:

edit: To answer DarkEternals original question, I'll go by household income. My husband makes about 26-27K a year. Houses in our area are so much cheaper than what it sounds in yours though. When we first purchased our house, our income was approx. 45K and we bought a 65,000 house. We prefer to live within our means (which is hard now that our income is cut in half-I made at least 27 each year).
    What are you doing for a job that you make so little? (Please don't take offense to that question)

7. quamen

quamen New Member

my day goes up and down on my earning. I typically earn anywhere from 170-500 dollars per day, depending on the work i complete. Im a college student still living with my parents as well. Im 24 and I have a year left,but my jobs arnt stable enough to move out.

Bascially my small seasonal business I will make 170-200 per day, and my other job I make 175-300 on a weekday and on a weekend about 400-500 on a saturday. The problem is my pay checks can be good one week and shit the next,depending on my completion ratio, so i end up with to much difference per week.

If the end I figure I make about 500 after my expense for gas and what not for my 3 day a week job, and if i work another 2-3 days wtih a helper since I want those days lighter, i make another 250 or so. I guess a typical week would be 750 roughly. After all is said and done i bet i only make about 30k per year if that.

8. Bleed

Bleed New Member

you dont want to think of home buying in that sense. you cant just divide b/c there is interest on homes. so if you bought a $320,000 home, you are also paying interest on the mortgage plus taxes and possible home owners association fees. so generally you're looking at an additional $500-1000 ontop of your mortgage every month of what i just mentioned.

plus it isn't smart to think this way. you need to use the banks money to make yourself money. i'm not talking debt to buy stuff like designer clothing, but debt to build equity. you just need to be smart about the investments you make and do enough research where you are comfortable borrowing six figures. also, as you will realize, if you are single and dont have enough write tax write offs, you will get majorly screwed by uncle sam.

9. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Taxes and insurance varies greatly by location. Our own personal taxes and insurance only add $114 to each month's payment.

10. Bleed

Bleed New Member

son of a bitch. i need to move out of orange county :wtc:

well how much is the value of the home?

11. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

93K right now. Taxes are based on 80% of the value of the home.

edit: I think everything's overpriced in SoCal, especially the real estate!

12. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

Ditto. I am somewhat of a "kept" woman, I guess. Tee hee!

ETA-
    WORD , Sistah! :)

13. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

I don't currently make any money but I'll be working all summer at 17$ per hour. Most I ever did before was 15. But all those amounts are canadian dollars of course.

14. Replicant

Replicant New Member

oklahoma is cheap! 150k can get you a brand new 2300 sq ft house with optional appliances.

15. Ancoats

Ancoats New Member

If you think the SoCal housing market is bad, try the UK one. :hs:

I'm currently unemployed at the moment, but my previous job I was getting paid 15,000, which in dollars is around 21k, right? I was underpaid for the work I did though.

16. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

I'm 26. Last year made $72k. I work at Citimortgage as a 2nd mtg salesman.

17. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Europe is extreme in terms of taxes,houses,gasoline prices. We are having a lot of people in serious debts lately because whatever you earn /50% goes to taxes. At this rate i'll be living with my mother for the rest of me life. :squint:

Thanks for all the replies people, i finally been able to shed some light and compare. Although conclusivly it means what i have is dreadfull, i have been looking out for another job. Again thanks everyone.:coolugh:

18. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

DarkEternal, are you in Europe?

19. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

$8.26/hr * 40 hrs/wk = $330/wk before taxes. My average check is currently about $543 every 2 wks.

OT pay is $12.39 but OT isnt approved for our dept.

Benefits have yet to start coming out of my pay, but will be $43/pay period.

The bf makes $12/hr * 40 hrs/wk = $480/wk before taxes. His average check every two weeks is about $835, including a bit of OT.

His OT is $18/hr, and has been working 2-3 hours of OT a week. He hasnt signed up for his benefits yet (even though he's been there for 5 years, this is the first year working FT for them, and missed the signup last summer).

(I put that in there too since we combine our stuff.)

20. Bleed

Bleed New Member

my condo (not house, fucking condo) is worth $550,000 as of now. my mortgage is for $400,000. that is why the tax is so low for you. :o

21. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

No kidding :p

22. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

I plan to live at home for awhile after my degree and get some money and finance my house building project. Im not a person of average size, so the normal countertops in a kitchen or bathroom hit me about mid thigh. Im going custom for my bodies sake. That way when I get a husband he moves into my house instead of vice versa. I want to have assets before I get married and *pray* a good head on my shoulders to marry the right man.

To dark eternal, at the rate im going though its looking like ill be living in with my family for a while. I only make about 12k a year part time (25 hrs) and going to school full time. I still live here cause I cant get any better car or health insurance and afford rent too, (damn health bills) But hopefully after the degree ill get paid a whole lot more.

23. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I make fucking $7.25

24. miniml

miniml New Member

your company is one of our clients

we represent you in bankruptcies

:noes:

25. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

$15/hr starting may 1. :hs:

I'm skurred of this new job. :noes: