a guide for beging car audio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by flynfrog, May 11, 2002.

1. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

first off i see alot of peopel buy 2 subs tehn cant afford a decint amp to put on them so they get a cheap one then hook it to there stock deck

Start with the deck first
    spend your money on a good headunit this is where your music comes form if it can put out a good clean signal the rest of yoru sytem is doomed already look for 3 pre outs and something that will look good in your car stick to the name brands this is not the place to go cheap

next if you realy want a sub get it now dont get 2 12s becasue every one elses is see what you ahve room for and rember you have to have enough power to run whatever you buy its also a good idea to get a good amp if you cant afford a nice one save up untill you can a cheap amp will make even teh best sub sound like crap

next move up to your mids and highs here is another place not to skip out on most of yoru msuic is highs not bass take some time decide what works for you personaly id get mids and highs before subs a componet set will always sound better than a coxal of the same quality also get an amp with decnt power and clean signal it dosne have to be huge but a 2x50 watt is proaby not going to cut it

also rember if you plan to add more aps use a bigger wire tahn you need you can go to big

caps are a waste of time if you are having that bad of a votlage probelm look to have yoru alt rewound and a second battery

make sure to run your wires where they wont be cut or pinched larger gauge wire will almost allways be better

DO RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY
    dont go to the shop and dropp a wad of cash you will get screwed

2. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

3. TotalEclipse02

TotalEclipse02 OT Supporter

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

ive spent tons of time on sounddomain till i got glitched then found this place trempro is ok but they bitch about every thing

and im not saying this is gods way of doing things its just meant to help with the peoepl who ask where do i start

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

what?

6. LegendTodd

LegendTodd Guest

I'd suggest a good set of mids before any bass but thats just the SQ guy in me. For the majority thats right on. Obviously everyone doesnt need to do everything in exactly that order but I always encourage upgrading one aspect at a time so you can see whats really improving your system.

Between those links you should be able to figure everything you could possibly want to know...

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

well most peopel getinto car audio for the bass the second tiem around im upgrading the mids and highs first kinda go away form the blow out my window seals kinda bass and more twards teh nice sounding stuff

but i made this up for teh car audio noob who cant usaly here the differnce between a factory speaker and a componet set

8. 04

04 Guest

You probably are not going to be able to tell the diference between a cheap 150 dollar head units amplifier or preouts between a 600 dollar units. The reason peole spend more money on expensive head units is because of their features such as cool graphics, equiliztion, preout crossovers, multiple sets of preouts, mp3 playback, remote, less prone to cd skipping, etc. I really doubt someone who is just getting in to the hobby is going to be able to hear the difference between a high end deck and a cheap entry level. My suggestion is buy a deck that has all the features that you want with the reliability at the best price. If thats 600 dollars, so be it. Just dont be fooled into believing that a 600 dollar unit is going to have twice as much power output as a 150 dollar one. Size limitations prevent this.

9. 04

04 Guest

You probably are not going to be able to tell the diference between a cheap 150 dollar head units amplifier or preouts between a 600 dollar units. The reason peole spend more money on expensive head units is because of their features such as cool graphics, equiliztion, preout crossovers, multiple sets of preouts, mp3 playback, remote, less prone to cd skipping, etc. I really doubt someone who is just getting in to the hobby is going to be able to hear the difference between a high end deck and a cheap entry level. My suggestion is buy a deck that has all the features that you want with the reliability at the best price. If thats 600 dollars, so be it. Just dont be fooled into believing that a 600 dollar unit is going to have twice as much power output as a 150 dollar one. Size limitations prevent this.

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

Re: Re: a guide for beging car audio

in the long run you will be better off getting a better HU then getting raod gear casue its cheaper and most peopel getting into the hobbie dont care how it sounds any way they want bass but as you get more and more into the hobbie you are constanly upgrading your weakest link so by spending a little more money on a good deck now it will save in the long run but no you dont need a $600 deck but the $150 wont do much for you when you decide to upgrade where as teh $600 deck can be resued