A good little article on the chemicals of love

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Taken from here, which was pretty much just a bunch of people talking about their broken hearts, but one poster made an excellent post.
    http://www.43things.com/things/view/130044

This is how it all works on a high level, guys and girls:

That second to last paragraph describes a very common occurrence.

2. I'm in need of my heroin. I need it badly. :rofl:

3. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

Spot on.

4. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Another interesting thing along those lines:
    Chemistrey, body oder, and who we are attracted to.
    (This is basically a cliff notes version of some study I read about/saw on Discovery)

We are attracted to people based on large part by how they actually smell. This takes place on an almost entirely subconscious level, and is more on the womans part than the mans. So, you are attracted to a guy based in part on his smell. What is his smell indicitive of? Turns out, it is representative of charectaristics of his immune system.
    You are attracted to a man in part b/c of his smell, someone who smells as though they have an immune system very different from yours, this makes sure your offspring will be immune to more stuff, and helps avoid inbreeding.
    Fun thing that goes with this: when you are pregnant, you want to be with your family (people who smell LIKE you). Birth control makes your body think its pregnant. So, women who are on birth control long term, may seek out a partner who actually smells LIKE her, and has a similar immune system. Later in the relationship, when she may stop taking it, this catches up with him, and she now finds him undesirable. Many marriage councilors report that a chief complaint among women about their spouses is that they 'just can't stand the way he smells.'

5. Takitome

Takitome New Member

Interesting.
    Is it possible to be unable to produse some of these chemicals?

6. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Joe loves Suzy. His brain becomes tolerant of the chemicals and he doesn't feel in love anymore, so he breaks up with her. By your reasoning, he can't feel love right now with anybody because his brain has developed a tolerance to certain neurotransmitters.

I don't buy it. There is more here than an acclimation to a batch of neurotransmitters, with a heavy part of it being completely psychosomatic.

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

You just answered your own question. If he's now tolerant of her, he would have to go to another source to get those chemicals again.

But who really successfully goes from one serious relationship into another serious relationship and have the second one be successful? It doesn't really work that way.

8. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

He is tolerant of her, which is different than his brain developing a tolerance for a neurotransmitter or two. See the difference?

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

(this is all a guess because I'm not positive here)

I see your point.

And the chemicals are specific to different people. I fall in love with Becky. She triggers chemical reactions when I see her that Cindy does not.

I fall out of love with Becky. Becky no longer causes my brain to release those chemicals. I eventually get over her without much problem because there is no withdrawal. I fell out of love with her and I initiated the breakup.

You're saying that I shouldn't be able to fall in love with ANYONE at this point because my tolerance to those chemicals is built up, and therefore anyone who would otherwise cause me to "fall in love" would not work because I would be immune to those chemicals.

I would think, then, that they must in fact vary by person, because it is possible to fall in love more than once.

So I fall out of love with Becky. Is it because my tolerance to chemicals has built up, or is it just because SHE no longer causes my body to release those chemicals and I've slowly been weened off over time?

10. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Bingo. It isn't a chemical acclimation, but a more complicated process.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

But the feelings are still related to those chemicals, when they're released.

in for more info.

12. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Here is where my knowledge stops. I have no idea. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a combination. The following is pure guesswork:

You are subconsciously attracted, your body releases certain neurotransmitters, you feel infatuated, and now you consciously decide that you are in love or whatever. When the subconscious attraction goes away, you don't get the chemical dump that you're used to and you don't feel infatuated anymore. Each person will then drawn their own conclusions, consciously, about what this means.