GUN a general handgun question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Jan 13, 2006.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

What makes a handgun accurate? With so many different brands and all that...why can one be so much more accurate than another who has extremely similar features? In looking for a handgun I obviously want something that is naturally accurate, but is there even really such a thing? Wouldn't most depend on the person and their skills? Or does it get to a point where once you're "that good", it starts to become more of the gun?

I think everything so far has a question mark in it, so I'll follow suit with this one?

If the first paragraph makes any sense, which brands are usually more accurate than others? For the $500 give or take $100 range, which should I consider?

FYI, the only gun I've shot I didn't like was a Glock (that angers some of you..sorry)

2. striker754

striker754 Chillin

the person behind the gun.

3. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Design and manufacturing quality. Accuracy of the sights if they aren't adjustable. Also, the ammo can affect accuracy in some cases.

Obviously, there is more to go wrong behind the gun than on it.

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I realize its more the person than it is the gun. Is the 1911 model inherantly more accurate than others based on design? Is it a barrel length thing? I mean is a 3" compact model worse off than a 5" barrel?

And whats the general concensus on the XD?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/XD9701HC.html

5. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

That all depends on who made it (read: manufacturing quality). 1911 is just a design, it can be built well or badly.

A longer barrel tends to help accuracy because the bullet gets more velocity before it leaves the barrel... which is why rifles are more accurate than handguns and have longer range. That doesn't necessarily mean a 3" barrel gun will be wildly inaccurate, but there's always a tradeoff involved.

From what I gather, the XD is regarded as being pretty good for the class of gun it is.

6. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm just looking for a ton of info and a gun to get started with. I have one shotgun right now and I sold my other one a few months back, so I'm not new to guns...just handguns. The XD might be just as good as anything else, for now. All the guns I've mentioned in other threads I like just as much, but I've actually shot an XD and I can get the 4" ported model for $460 w/ 3 hi cap magazines and the XD holster or something.

7. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Quality is quality to some degree... accuracy, reliability, fit and finish all tend to increase together. Along with price, of course.

You really should just go find a range with a good rental selection, try out different brands, frame sizes, and calibers. That way you'll get a better sense of the ones that fit you.

And if you really have no idea what you want, consider a .22 for starting off. You spend half as much on the gun and a fraction as much per round on ammo, which means you can live at the range and get much better at shooting straight in the first place. :)

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The quality of the barrel, how the chamber is sized, how everything fits together, the rifling of the barrel, etc. all make a difference. Most guns will outshoot you and if you ever get to where you think you're better than your gun, then you can always upgrade it.

Stick with a major brand and the gun will still outshoot you. My vote would go to a Sig, Glock, or XD, in that order. For your price range I'm not sure what good 1911 you could pick up as I don't know mcuh about them.

In the future when you've had a lot of practice and want a more accurate gun, then buy one or build one.

If this is just or target shooting, then I'd seriously consider a .22 instead. The Ruger Mk# and 22/45 are good choices.

9. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

everybody else was right on,

to break it down some more, there are such things as "tight" and "loose" guns, loose guns like a glock or XD etc are made for duty/battle, they go off when abused, with sand/water/mud clogging them etc. and because of the looseness they are a bit less accurate.

"Tight" guns on the other hand are use for matches and for target practice but are often high maintainance, a grain of sand can cause a FTF or a jam, they typically also cost quite a bit more.

for instance, I am not the best shooter but here is my experience.
    at the rifle range, I usually practice with my pistols at beyond the range at which it would normally be used. at 30yds my XD will usually produce a 5-7" grouping depending on conditions (both me and the weather/light levels etc)
    and my kimber 1911 will produce more like a 3" grouping at the same distance.

10. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

if its a glock, then you can be rest assured, its accurate :embd:

11. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

longer sight radius is going to make the shooter more accurate, but obviously the sights have nothing to do with how accurate the gun is.

12. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

I have a Sig 226 and have no problems shooting pretty close groups at 10 yards. I have alot more to learn so I know that when the shot is off its me and not the gun. I like the feel of the 226 with the wraparound grips too :yum: