LGBT A gay train?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by RedGoober4Life, Aug 16, 2005.

1. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/337739p-288290c.html

A Bronx subway platform has become a popular spot for gay men to have anonymous casual sexual encounters, the Daily News has learned.

The Fordham Road station, four stops from the end of the D line, is even featured on a Web site as one of numerous New York locations for men seeking other men to meet.

The cruising area is at the northern end of the long southbound platform. Anything goes, largely unnoticed - except to those in the know.

The News went to the Bronx station on a steamy summer night. In 90 minutes, we witnessed one lewd act - and were propositioned twice.

"It's a cruising area. I've seen a lot of sexual activity," said a 19-year-old man wearing a lavender-and-white Yankee cap.

He arrived with four other young men who sauntered into the station about 11:45 p.m., calling out, "Where are the cuties?" - and making comments and offers to other men that can't be printed here.

The NYPD is aware of the Fordham Road station activity - increasing the police presence there about six months ago after some complaints, officials said.

Just last Thursday, police arrested two men for public lewdness at 1:25 a.m.

Deputy Inspector Michael Coan said there was no evidence of prostitution and said the problem seemed to abate.

"This is a condition that comes and goes," Coan said. "We keep an eye on it, and if we get complaints about the condition ... [we] address it."

Transit officials could not recall another example of the subways being used for sex; a well-publicized three-way tryst on the Long Island Rail Road in 2002 resulted in guilty pleas by the participants - a husband and wife and his brother.

But the activity at Fordham Road is more than a public lewdness issue; in this era of AIDS, casual sex can kill.

In 2003, a Health Department survey showed just 45% of men used condoms when engaging in gay sex.

The spread of AIDS led city officials to close gay bathhouses and spurred a public awareness campaign about the dangers of casual sex, especially among gay men.

"Engaging in unprotected sex is a leading cause of HIV transmission among men who have sex with men," said Lynn Schulman, communications director for Gay Men's Health Crisis.

"GMHC also wants to caution men about responding to anonymous Internet ads, which could be used to lure people into dangerous situations," she said.

Despite the dangers, the station was crawling with activity one Thursday night.

Several young men said they regularly go to the platform to watch and ridicule the "DL population" - referring to "down low," a label for men who on the surface lead straight lives but have gay sex on the side. The group, which wanted to know whether a visitor was a cop, then headed downtown to go clubbing.

About half an hour later, a man in jeans and white sandals walked by. He made eye contact, then exposed himself.

The man, about 40, spoke very little English.

"Qué quieres?" he was asked. "What do you want?"

He made a lewd request that was promptly refused.

Subway sex shocked transit riders - even longtime ones like Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign.

"That's a new one on me," he said. "I never heard or thought of a subway station or subway platform as a secluded part of a park or a singles bar. If you want to go unobserved, I wouldn't pick a subway station."

The Web site tells readers where police hide and suggests bringing a "spotter" to look for cops or nosy riders.

It also gives the best hours to go, describes the type of men that can be encountered and features graphic descriptions of personal experiences there.

"Been in the station recently and found luck even at 3:30 p.m.," one poster wrote. "This station is bumping again."

Why are people so scary. :ugh:

2. coma

coma New Member

I just hope that they don't touch the 3rd rail during sex.:ugh2:

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Thats really alarming! :eek3:

4. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

i think a book written by Larry Gross "up from invisibility" deals with this in one section. I think it should be pointed out.

1) how does the news source learn about such a phenomenon (and i use that term loosely)

2) Gross criticized a lot of former articles that dealt with cruising grounds for the fact that most of the time, the reporters were engaging in the cruising culture themselves to facilitate the reactions from those who lurk.

3) Thinking about it now, isnt the ny daily news one of them trash penny papers that every metro city has (i.e. like one of those london papers with the page 3 girl?)

4) I can't help but think about the power issue when it comes to this. This is just a blatant reexamination of power struggles between an oppressed and privileged group of individuals. The privileged, the heterosexuals, have been engaging in public sex for the longest time, whether it be in the back seat of a car at an overlook or in the stalls at a supermarket (trust me, i have seen it). yet, their actions rarely ever get published. Yet, we always here this crap about gay people, the oppressed, cruising in parks, etc. If you want to think about it using the 10% rule (i.e., 10% of the pop. is gay), there is probably more straight people indulging in public sex than gay men.

So what does this article do in my opinion? Nothing but offer a reaffirmation in how power works. We have a news source making a marginalized population further marginalized. I cant help but wonder if some average joe is just gonna look at this and think oh great, all those fags do is hook up.

The article fails to offer a solution, it just points out what is on the surface, which in my opinion is shabby newswriting. Good newswriting criticizes, educates, and offers solutions. Shame.

(Sorry, my views are somewhat radical i know, but this is what happens when you're advisor is a liberal feminist on the brink of being radical)

5. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I'd say that was a pretty typical response, and not at all "radical."

6. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

That is true when i think about it. I think in general, posts like these do elicit the activist within us all. I'm just used to some of my friends here in ohio who choose not to discuss these matters. :p

7. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

bah. I was thinking of another type of 'gay train'. :hsugh: