A&P A friend tried doing me a solid...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Drunken Karnie Midget, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

Friend of mine has just started up with some local DJ company. Last night, he was doing a wedding + reception, and figured he'd do me a solid and started chatting up the photographer. It's a husband/wife team, and they occasionally hire a third on to help out with large shows. He drops my name, and tells them that i'll be sending them an e-mail to see if they'd hire me on. Now you guys have seen my work thus far. People ain't a part of it. He's hoping to help me get my foot in the door, but i'm not even sure if i want to do weddings, then again, the learning experience would be invaluable to a guy like me. If i don't do a damn thing, then he looks like an asshole, if i contact these folks, and they're interested in hiring me on for the occasional gig, i'd likely prove to be fairly unreliable, as my regular job would take precedence, and i'd only be available every other week.... I'm sorta :confused: about how i should approach this. I've never considered becoming a pro. but if i could, this could surely be a starting point for that, and it'd be a hell of a lot better than working just to make a paycheck. :hs:

Thoughts... advice... ?

2. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

People don't always follow through on "references", so neither you nor your buddy look like a dick if you don't.

However if this is an area you've got even the remotest bit of interest in then there's no reason why you can't drop them an email, describe the situation and see if they'd at least be willing to meet with you and see how your personalities mesh etc and if they'd consider bringing you into a wedding as a tag along just to see how you do.

1 year and the right equipment right...:mamoru:

3. Drunken Karnie Midget

A few years. Imma broke mofo - I don' need no gear. Straight balla yo :coolugh: On a serious note, i suppose it wouldn't hurt to meet up with 'em, if they even reply back. Who knows, i might be able to get some experience under my belt.

4. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Keep your options open and let them know your work comes first...chances are they won't even want your help and were just being polite to the DJ.

And wtf is "doing me a solid"?

5. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

don't feel pressured to do anything. only take this opportunity as something you might want to do, not because you have to

as a pilot, i know the biggest killer of loving flying is going from doing it for the love to flying for money in a shit position. i hate to see people lose their passion for something in that way.

your friend should understand if it is not something you want. the other people won't think he's a dick cuz u didn't come through

6. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

Seinfeld...doing a solid favor.

7. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

If anything assist for some time...get some experience, but you dont run the risk of fucking someones wedding up. I did that for a few months and now I'm shooting with this studio. You start to see the formula that a wedding is.

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

is it good that he would be a 3rd? even if he isnt good at it the others will pull weight

9. Drunken Karnie Midget

I think i might. I'll right up an email tonight after i've gotten some sleep in me, and send it off to them.

Probably wouldn't even be a shooter, more like a gear monkey.

Shit, forgot to put this in my original post... here's their website. some decent photos, but their flash site annoys me: www.carrphoto.net