GUN A friend of mine is considering a rifle chambered in 6.5x55 Swede

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

He's been tossing the idea of a bolt-action rifle around for a few months and has been asking me some questions. He has pretty much decided on buying a Tikka T3 rifle with a 20" barrel. The other choice is .308 Win which I like just fine and think it would suit his needs fine, but is the 6.5 worth it? I know the Swede is flatter and with lighter bullets can get over 3000fps velocities but it takes a hit in muzzle energy compared to the .308. He has said he would like to possibly hunt longhorn sheep with it someday, I figure either caliber would be perfectly fine for such a task since Scandinavians hunt everything with the 6.5.

I know we have at least one Swede shooter on here, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, if I had picked up a Swedish Mauser before I got some of these other surplus rifles, my Tikka T3 in my safe would almost certainly be chambered in 6.5x55.

2. johnson

johnson New Member

I have a CZ 550 chambered in one. From what ive read, the Tikka is a great rifle too.

3. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

Had a sporterized m/38 as my first deer rifle. Still pissed to this day that my dad sold it when I was 14 cause I told him I didn't enjoy deer hunting.

The rifle was pretty soft shooting and amazingly accurate. Can't comment too much on the viability of it as a hunting round, though my dad did take two deer with it before I was old enough to hunt with it. I do remember ammo being pretty absurdly expensive for it and the only thing we could find locally was norma. I'd assume now with the popularity the cartridge has/is gaining, ammo is not as much of an issue.

4. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I thought it was you that owned the 550 but I wasn't 100% sure. I really like my Tikka but it's chambered in .308.

He'd look at the 550 American but he wants a 20" barrel. I personally like the Mauser-esque design of the 550 and the set trigger function.

5. johnson

johnson New Member

Ive noticed that I get better groups with the set trigger but I prefer something some slack and light takeup. The CZ is heavy for a hunting rifle and I wouldve gotten the Tikka but i'm a cz whore.

CZ 452 Lux
    CZ 550 American
    CZ 75B SA / Kadet Conversion
    Dan Wesson valor

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

There are some downsides to the Tikka. Unlike the CZ that has metal everything essentially, the T3 has some plastic bits where you wouldn't want them in 40 years. The magazine bodies are completely plastic, nice since my rifle only weighs a little over 6 lbs but they will eventually wear. I don't shoot it enough to really worry about it, and it can be loaded through the gate too. A nice thing about having an accurate rifle is only needing one shot. :big grin:

The trigger is nice on the Tikka but I imagine it's just as good on the CZ. I wish they offered the set triggers for the T3 in America, I don't know why they don't. :hs:

The light weight is acceptable in .308 but I'd imagine in something like 300 Win mag it would be a bit of a bear.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

As far as ballistics go, the swede will outpace the 308 anywhere any everywhere, given you run bullets worth a fuck.

The bigger question is..... do you have the capabilities to source bullets worth a fuck to feed it with?

8. johnson

johnson New Member

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'd take the 260 over the Swede myself, just for the case design and logistics if rolling a 6.5.

10. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

If it were me I'd be rolling my own, but the guy has little intention of doing that. It will likely be factory ammunition for him.

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Then perhaps he just needs a little education to see the light?

Find out what bullet/load combo he will be running (factory ammo I'm sure) and punch it into JBM. Then compare that, to some *good* loads with something like a Scenar. Then compare factory 175SMK 308 loads. Maybe throw in some pricing as icing on the cake.

That might be a good start. IME, sometimes the first step is the hardest, which is getting people to wrap their head around the concept that it's ALL about the bullet.

12. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Swede Mauser FTMFW. They've been taking moose with it over there just fine.

13. johnson

johnson New Member

I read somewhere that the Swede prefer 30-06 now.

14. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

He used to reload for his old rifle, a 7mm Weatherby Mag. It's not that he couldn't, but he's doesn't have any reloading equipment anymore. We'll see though, he might get back into it.

Like I said, if it were me I'd be reloading it.