SRS A friend of mine has a problem, how do I get her to talk about it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Speed_Demon1965, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Speed_Demon1965

Speed_Demon1965 New Member

A good friend of mine is dating this girl who I also consider a friend. He tells me about these strange outbursts that she has, where she will just go crazy as if she is possessed. She's usually a really sweet girl and I have never seen this side of her. He says she will act like a totally different person (multiple personalities) and will make twitching motions. Her parents have also talked about this from time to time.

The way her parents talk, it's almost as if they are making fun of her, they don't seem to help the problem much. They are great people, but it just doesn't seem like they know how to handle the situation. They say things to her that make me go :ugh:.

I have talked to her from time to time about it and she tells me it's triggered by anxiety usually, but she won't say anything more. I can't get her to talk about it, and I don't want to make her uncomfortable about it because it obviously really bothers her. I've tried to tell her that she shouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed of something that she cannot control. I've also let her know that I know what it's like to think that no one knows how you feel (depression, anxiety). So I feel like she can come down on my level and be more comfortable with someone who's kinda "been there".

How should I help her? She never wants to talk about it and doesn't want to get help either. My friend is afraid that one day she might be in one of her personalities and do something like kill herself because she doesn't realize what she's doing. Give me some advice.

2. FrozenSTi

FrozenSTi This site WILL get me in trouble......

Just be there as a friend and she'll open up when she is ready. Don't over do it with the need to help or you'll just push her away.