A few things i've noticed over the past 3 years...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tenplanescrashing, Oct 6, 2005.

1. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

After switching to a mac 3 years ago, i've noticed a few things regarding the differences between mac and pc users. Here are a few mentionables:

*Mac users tend to know how to use both platforms fluently whereas most pc users tend to only know their platform
    *PC users tend to be more mouse based whereas mac users tend to be more keyboard based
    *Mac users tend to be more open-minded when comparing platforms

feel free to add your own.

2. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Expose > *

PC > Mac for a desktop
    Mac > PC for a notebook

IMO

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Mac users have deluded themselves into thinking that one button is better than two, when actually: two is better, for most users. Period. Three may be too much. Depends on you.

4. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

*none of the ones in the first post apply to everyone, because everyone is not stereotypical

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

You are confusing Mac users with Mac makers. I don't know any users that want only one button.

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I totally agree with that as far as the notebooks. I love my iBook. But, i hafta disagree with the desktops.
    IMO it seems like PCs are much easier to build, and much easier to keep low cost.
    Also, i think that Macs are better for everything but gaming. I know for a fact that many of my friends would switch to macs, if it wouldnt cost them thier precious games.

I'm even building a PC desktop just so i can game.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

He said PCs are better for the desktop. Actually, I might rather have a Mac if they weren't expensive, and if I didn't have to run Windows Apps. Maybe that will change with Intel Macs?

8. tenplanescrashing

I never said it applied to everyone.

but for the most part, most mac users can or intuitively navigate at an intermediate or advanced level within windows.

and you don't agree with the mouse argument? do you not notice windows users doing a lot of tasks with "right click" whereas most (or the ones I see) mac users using keyboard shortcuts?

9. JointBeaker

JointBeaker packaging engineer #2 OT Supporter

One of my buddies loved using the old "pro" mouse...and I never understood it. He was still very proficient using keyboard shortcuts: one hand on mouse, one on keyboard...but still. The first thing I purchased when I picked up my tower, was an Optical Explorer. I :love: setting up actions for 5 or more buttons. :wiggle:

10. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

My GF doesn't use a mouse at all on her PowerBook. That shit I do not understand. But, she said she could never use a one button mouse. :hsugh: :rofl:

At work I'm using a Mighty Mouse and at home I'm using Logitech MX700. Both work well. The Logitech sucked until I found that universal driver app that I posted a thread about. Being able to program Expose to a mouse button > *

11. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Bro, re-read what I said about Mac desktops. I'd much rather own a PC desktop over a Mac desktop, and i'd takemy ibook over any other pc notebook.

OS X is great and all, I just don't like not having some programs that I love with the PC, and of course, games. Mac needs to get bigger into the gaming scene, they'd own then.

12. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

I totaly agree, OSX is the perfect OS for portables. I cant wait for powerbooks with a yonah based cpu.

maybe advanced mac users, but the teachers(large % of mac users are in education) I work with who use macs are like a fish out of water when they have to use a PC.

13. tenplanescrashing

most mac users I know aren't teachers and have switched from a pc to a mac

14. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Well, thats why they're able to use both platforms. It's like driving a manual for 3 years, than buying an automatic. You can still drive a clutch pretty well, but someone whos never driven a clutch is going to stall.

15. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

this is true because many windows applications don't have a universal menu bar... like the windows explorer itself -- to create a new folder, for example, I don't know that I've ever seen anyone do that in windows with anything but right-click... there's no menu bar shortcut to be referenced there, like there is with the Mac :dunno: just my observation

right-click is incredibly useful, but I think windows apps use it to a fault, very often as a crutch for poorly designed human interfaces / GUIs.

16. tenplanescrashing

nail on head!!!

17. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

honestly, I don't even know of a way to create a new folder on the keyboard. I don't use windows with such frequency that I've cared to find out. But their misuse of right-clicking is really frustrating -- right clicking is supposed to be a contextual supplement of commands, not a catch-all for doing shit. On the flipside, though, I think Apple could stand to flesh out their own contextual menus with some more common / useful functions :hs:

18. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I personally like the one-button mouse, even though it's been possible to use a two-button mouse with a mac for a while now, it's seems faster/more efficeient to rely on quick keys rather than a mouse.

19. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I would at least wish the Mac had an option for it. Something Windows has that PC's don't is the "Make New..." feature when right-clicking. Say I wanna make a text document to type a quick note in? On a Mac I'd have to either find SimpleText in the Apps folder, if I have my Apps folder linked in my Dock I can right-click and expand it to find it, or I can pop open Dashboard & use the Stickie provided I have it activated. Whereas on a PC I can right-click -> make new text.doc. Sometimes I have a drink or food in the other hand so having a few choices in the context menu is helpful.

And 2 other things that will continually drive me crazy unless someone here can tell me how to do it. When a dialog box gives you more than one option, like "Ok" and "Cancel" I want to hit Tab to move the default selection to the other choice. I can hit Tab and it will move what looks to be an outline to the other button, but the default one is still highlighted.

The other one, and this only appears to me in Photoshop or Illustrator since I use those the most, is that you can't keep a drop-down menu highlighted. Example being in Photoshop when I want to see different Layer Blending options (Darken, Multiply, Screen...etc) I have to keep clicking the drop-down to expand and move the mouse down to choose the next blend. On a PC I just click the drop-down once, it highlights the blending option, and I can just use the arrow keys to cycle up & down.:rl: UGH. I REALLY need a workaround to that!

20. Shogun

Shogun Turntable tactician

IT TOOK 3 YEARS TO FIGURE THAT OUT:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

21. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

use the space bar to choose the "selected" options. The enter key will always select the default.

22. violator

violator New Member

using the keyboard as much as humanly possible > using a mouse

unless i'm doing something that's mouse intensive like outlining a person in photoshop, i prefer using the keyboard...

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Switching between mouse and keyboard is what is so disruptive, stopping your work-related thought process in its track and causing you to THINK. It sucks. Apple loses here.

24. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

Unless you're being sacracistic, I have to disagree. Using a mouse and a keyboard with both hands requires no more thought than typing with both hands.

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I couldn't disagreee more. The worst case is when you're only browsing, or working with the mouse, and you have to go to the keyboard... to right click. What about your thought processes indicates that you need to switch contexts here to do so? It takes alot more time.