A few questions....

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by OOTSABryan, May 30, 2003.

1. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

Per Scottwax's advice i picked up some products for detailing. I just wanna make sure i have this right. I first wash the car then use the claybar kit then wash again then use Meguir's Swirl Free Polish (Mirror Glaze line) then Clearkote's Vanilla Moose, then the S100 wax.

I think I have that right but i was wondering if there needed to be any waiting period between any of those steps?

And also my mom's new maxima has that hardened clear film stuff (i forget what its called) to protect the paint on the front bumper and on top of hood.....what of the products i listed can i not use on this surface?

2. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

Oh and also my jeep has the dark gray plastic i guess it is around the bottom and on the bumpers.........what do i use on those?

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Yep, sounds like the right steps. No waiting period is required between any of those steps. I'm not sure what you mean about the clear film stuff on your Mom's car, perhaps you could post a pic? :dunno: As far as the plastic on your Jeep, you can use just plain old Armor-All on that.

4. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

i'd take a picture but you wouldn't be able to see much cause its clear.....they basically conform it to the car and then heat it with a heatgun i guess and it gets superhard so you don't get rockchips on the paint and such...its on the mirrors, the bumper, the headlights, and the first couple inches of the hood......they use it on porsches and Vipers a lot.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You can wax the clear bra to protect it.

Wash, clay, swirl free, vanilla moose and S100 is the right order.

6. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

It says on the bottle of Meguiars swirl free that it should be put on with an orbital or rotary buffer....do i have to? I have one but i'd rather not use it.

7. Scottwax

If you have an orbital buffer and a foam pad, it is very safe. A rotary and a wool pad...bad idea unless you have serious paint problems you need to really cut through.

You can use it by hand. I use a terry cloth towel folded into 1/8ths size so it forms a thick pad and do a section at a time. You need to make sure you work it into the paint until is starts to look clear and dry, then buff off the residue. Refold the towel and move onto the next section.

8. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

Well i finally got a chance to do it to one of my cars today. Looks the best since I've ever owned the car. But the damn Meguir's polish took 3 hours with an orbital buffer. But then the vanilla glaze and S100 went on so freakin easy.

Now its raining. :hs:

9. Scottwax

If the swirl free took a long time, you were using too much, I can almost guarantee it. A dime size blob should be more than enough to do half the hood.

Glad it turned out well! Post pics when you get a chance.

10. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

lol yea i guess i was using too much....the one thing i miss about a dirty car though is that it hides my dents :hs:

i'll try and get pics of the car tommorrow....its only a beat up corolla though....i'm gonna do my 98 grand cherokee next and then my mom's black maxima

11. T_Dawgg

T_Dawgg son of god

if i want to throw a swirl remover into this mix should i add before the polish ?

12. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Right.