A few questions...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 91RS, Jun 30, 2006.

1. 91RS

91RS If this flag offends you... you need a history les

Ok, so I'll be getting my car painted soon and I'm going to want to protect it as best I can since my car is a daily driver. Let me say this now, I don't have a power buffer/polisher and I'm don't plan to buy one at this point since I can't afford $200, so I'll be doing it all by hand. Also, if it matters, my car is red.

I've been using Armorall on the interior plastics and tires since I bought the car, so I'm not too concerned about interior products right now, I've also been using car wash soap when I wash it (it isn't name brand stuff, but I have a good 1/2 gallon left) and I recently bought a Black Magic drying cloth.

I think I've decided on a few products to get already: Meguiar's wax (not sure which one yet), smooth surface claybar kit, and scratch x, Clearkoat's Vanilla Moose, and EagleOne's 20/20 glass cleaner. Is there anything I missed that I would want? (I know my list isn't in order).

How long does a claybar last? I wanted to give it a try on my current paint to see how well it'll really work, but if it'll only last for one or two jobs then I don't want to blow $20 on paint that won't be here much longer.

Is there a difference between a glaze and a wax? If so, which is better?

I think that's all for now.

2. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Don't waste your time claying the current paint. You can get between 1-3 details with a clay bar depending on the condition of the paint.

You can buy the Scratch-X but get a real polish. Scratch-X is good for spot detailing very small imperfections, even light swirls are beyond the purpose of Scratch-X in my eyes.

A glaze has a better shine than a wax but less durability. It's usually used before you apply a wax. It’s well worth using both.

If you don’t want to mail order just buy a Clay Magic kit and get a setup from the Meguiars line up. They offer Scratch-X, easy to use polishes, a good glaze and nice wax.

3. 91RS

The Scratch X was the one I wasn't sure about.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Easy, consumer level polish would be Meguiars #9. Vanilla Moose as your glaze and either #26 High Tech Yellow or NXT Tech Wax as your wax, or if you are going to order Vanilla Moose, also get Carnauba Moose to use as your wax.

5. 91RS

Thanks for the recommendations. So for the order:

1. Wash
    2. Claybar (I know that won't be needed on new paint)
    3. Swirl remover
    3. Polish
    4. Glaze
    5. Wax

Correct?

I think I'm going to do my first detail attempt on my dad's truck since he's been letting me use it a lot lately. It's probably about as bad as that red Trans Am that was posted here a few days ago, so it'll need the full treatment.