a few questions

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by wyrmblight, Feb 12, 2004.

1. wyrmblight

wyrmblight Tá m'árthach foluaineach lán d'eascanna OT Supporter

Ok, I did a friends suv this weekend. (large pictures can be found here & here) Now he has challenged to make his wifes truck look just as good. The truch has some heavy swirl marks and a few minor scratches. This is what I was thinking of using and would like to know peoples thoughts:
    DACP with pc & orange cutting pad
    SFP with pc & White Polishing Pad
    Clearkote hand glaze
    Clearkote moose wax with pc & Grey Finishing Pad
    s100

Then I usually go through and use clearkote quick detail afterwords as kind of a final detail. Should I change the grey pad to the hand glaze for better results? Will the hand glaze improve it any with the SFP? Also I've seen some people recomend leaving the polish on for a while to let the oils soak in, is SFP or the hand glaze one of the products I should do this with? I would really like to get the best shine I can out of this truck becuase I know he can bring me a lot more business.

Thanks for any thoughts and advic in advance.

2. autoeng

autoeng Guest

No suggestions but, God is that some awful orange peel!

3. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

autoeng: Ford is infamous for orange peeled paints.

As far as your next job pcbasic.com...I think you have way too many steps. I am guessing you will be using a PC? I use a Rotary and have barely had to touch my DACP and Cutting pads. I have been able to get rid of bad swirling with SFP and a LCM White Polishing Pad. Since your using a PC though, DACP and SFP may be neccessary (I dk though, never used one). You should start with the polishing pad and SFP first and see if that takes it out, then go to DACP on a clean white polishing pad, finally if the defects are STILL not coming out, go to DACP with the cutting pad.

Hand Glaze IMO is a waste 'O time unless its on your own car. Clearkote's VM I hear is a nice one stepper before a finishing carnauba, but pointless if you've already done the right prep with polishing. The customer I don't think will really notice a difference if you use VM or not. SFP leaves a pretty wet looking finish and is perfect prep for a topper carnauba.

Choose either Carnuaba Moose Wax or S100...There is no reason for both. CMW will leave a more wet looking finish and S100 will be more reflective. Either is an excellent choice and should last you about 3 months give or take.

4. wyrmblight

I used DACP with a PC 7424 and the rest by hand. You can take a look at the results at here here and here. I used DACP, SWP and ClearKote Moose Wax. And wiped down with Clearkote quickshine after I was all done.

I did their mustang this weekend also. You can look at it here, here, and here with a before shot
    The mustang I did all by hand, with DACP, Clearkote Glaze and Clearkote Moose Wax, again wiped down with quickshine.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Which Moose Wax do you have? The regular (brown) or the Carnauba Moose (white)? Carnauba Moose has a noticably wetter look.

6. wyrmblight

I have the regular brown one. I'm going to be placing an order in soon and see if I can't get some of the white stuff instead.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Carnauba Moose is only on the order page. I really wish Mr. Glass would change the name to avoid confusion. Clearkote Carnauba would be a better name, IMO.