A few questions, OEM vs. Retail etc...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I'm putting my new computer together, I'm planning on buying everything from Newegg and I'm picking out my hard drives and I have a few questions...

One, what is the difference between OEM, and Retail? Newegg mostly sells OEM hard drives, what am I losing by going OEM rather than going to Best Buy or some other store and buying Retail?

Second, is it a good idea to run two seperate hard drives? One 40G to run my OS from and other random programs, and one 250G just for games, music etc. I've read that it will allow the computer to actually run faster, plus I was thinking that if something happened to the larger drive (virus etc.) that I would still have the 40G with the OS and all of the critical programs that I need to use the most (Word etc.).

Lastly, IDE or SATA? I've been told that I probably will never know the difference, so which should I go with?

Thanks.

2. beez

beez New Member

1 - OEM is usually the piece of hardware and any driver discs that may be required for it to run. Retail is what you would buy at Best Buy or CompUSA. With buying a HDD, I can't imagine you'd be missing much if anything by going OEM. Maybe it won't come with a new IDE cable like the Retail ones do.

2 - I've always been under the impression that having a second drive is a good thing. I keep my windows swap file on another drive, though it's on the same controller as the OS disk. Keeping games and the OS seperate should also reduce the chances of your game slowing down if the OS HDD starts chunking away in the middle of the game.

3 - No idea

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

1 - The difference is OEM will have minimal packaging and frequently a shorter warranty.

2 - Definitely a good thing.

3 - SATA. Got with 10K RPM WD Raptors and you'll definitely notice a difference.

4. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

I've bought an OEM hard drive from Newegg and it came with the drive and the ide cables.