MIL A few questions in the absence of the Joining FAQ :hs:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xxblakersxx, Jul 28, 2006.

1. xxblakersxx

xxblakersxx The only verdict is vengeance.

Well, I had planned on taking a look at the Joining the Military FAQ before I posted, but it seems to be missing for some reason.

I have read that it is a much better decision to complete 4 years of college before joining, so that one can join as an officer. I understand this but it is not an option at this point.

Basically, my car was stolen, and that caused me to lose my job, which required heavy commuting. I was forced to move back in with my parents, and am as of right now, living at home, with no car and no job, not in school.

I had always considered, if not at least entertained, the thought of joining a branch of the military. I've heard great things, and I think I would definitely enjoy the benefits and could use the training. I've always wanted to travel, and I think it could be a great life experience.

However, 4 years seems like a lot of commitment. Anybody have any experience or opinions on the 2 year program?

A few things make me hesitant:
    A.) I don't like the idea of getting killed at age 20, although I know the chances can't be that high if I don't plan on joining the infantry.
    B.) It's a huge step, and a complete change, kind of like jumping off the high dive, knowing it's not a bad idea, but you still can't help but be hesitant.
    C.) 4 years seems like a very long time.

This may sound like I'm only wanting to join out of desperation, but that is not the case. I've entertained the thought far before I was landed in my current situation, and I have a job lined up as a Production Assistant in Hollywood as soon as I buy a beater with the last grand I have. But something tells me this might be the better idea.

CLIFFS: I know, a bit long, but I'm hoping somebody will read it and help me out since this isn't the main forum. Takes less than 60 seconds :bigthumb:

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

4 years is not long. It flies by quickly all the while feeling like it is creeping.

3. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

The 4 years do go by rather fast. And nobody wants to die.

4. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

join the military and give me the production assisstant job