GUN A few questions from a noob

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WhiteLightning, Oct 21, 2008.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning AWD Member

1. How is a .22 different from a 22mag? (Bigger in what way?) On the same subject, what about 17 compared to a 22?

2. I'm rooting through some catalogs I ordered and I'm noticing the shotguns (at least in the Winchester catalog) are jumping in price from 300ish to 900-2000. Why the huge gap? What makes the expensive ones better?

3. What's the benefit of a single shot rifle (if there is one)?

:hsd:

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

1. 22mag: loaded to a higher pressure. The .22/.17 denotes the diameter of the bullet so a .17 is smaller than a .22.

2. Expensive shotguns are more than likely the nice hunting shotguns.

3. By single shot do you mean bolt-action? If so, usually increased accuracy.

3. WhiteLightning

As in no magazine. I have a 22 bolt with magazine but I see some without any whatsoever.

4. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

I don't think there's a tangible benefit. At least not one that I know of.

5. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Well, my Remington 700 5R has an internal magazine...I think you mean an external magazine so

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

1: .22 is a bore size. It's the diameter of the bullet, in inches. I imagine you are talking about 22 long rifle (as opposed to short, or just long) here, and wanting to compare it to a 22Mag. The "magnum" part refers to the shape/capacity of the case that holds the bullet. 22mag is "larger", simply because it holds more powder, and can push the same .22cal bullet faster. A .17cal round is simply smaller in diameter than a 22. They are usually based on a 22LR/Mag parent case, only necked down to fit the .17cal projectile instead. They are able to push the bullet faster (and generally speaking, the bullets fly better), and thus generally are flatter shooting, and arguably have a more effective range.

2. A million different reasons. That's honestly like asking why a Ferrari costs more than a Kia- They both can get you from point A to point B right?

3. Generally not, except for in special applications. Repeaters are the (relative) past, present, and future. You generally see these rifles for sale because they are cheap, and some people gent bent on the nostalgic thing.

7. WhiteLightning

8. WhiteLightning

9. WhiteLightning

What about a shotgun with a shorter length (39-1/2" vs. 47-49?)? I assume accuracy is lower along with overall weight?

10. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

A lot of kids' .22s out there are single-shot. Just easier for the safety-minded parent who can feed a child one cartridge at a time. The sell pink ones for girls at the fun show. :dunno:

Depends on the application. A shorter shotgun is generally going to be quicker-handling and therefore better for short-range work like home defense and skeet, etc. Longer barrels are going to be better for longer range stuff like trap shooting, duck & goose hunting, etc.

11. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

My single shoot .22. I have to teach people its nice since there's no way they can really nd and accidentally shoot me or another person. Yes I have alot lower rings on there now also
    [​IMG]