A few questions (DL, DB's, gains)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hootpie, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

1) When deadlifting, how wide should my stance be and how wide should my grip be? Should my arms be between my knees when I'm lowering or should they be outside of my knees? When responding, keep in mind I'm 6'3" and I'm training for size/overall fitness. Also, I use an overhand grip.

2) I only use dumbbells for my flat/incline bench work. I notice that I always have problems initially getting the weight up with my left side (weaker side), but never with my right. It obviously gets easier as i lower the weight, but any weight near what I do 3x8 with, I struggle. It feels like my front deltoid or something is weak...I don't know how to describe it. The whole reason I'm using DB's so that I'm equally strong, but that it's not working out like that Is this something you guys have experienced? What's the best thing to do to fix it or is it something that will correct itself over time (a time period longer than the few months I've been working out so far). I realize this may sound like a stupid question, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

3) I've been working out since late October. I experienced huge gains in the first 2 months in pretty much all muscle groups except my biceps (bicep strength didn't increase much...if anything). Now a few months later, I'm experiencing large gains in my biceps/triceps and little to no gain in my other muscle groups. Does this sound right? Am I just plateauing in my other groups while my biceps are starting to respond to my workout?

2. therealnapster

therealnapster New Member

1)when i dead lift my legs are shoulders width apart with my arms slightly outside of them. i like to use a mixgrip when deadlifting. i feel that i have more control with a mixgrip but you have to get a feel for it. the arms should be outside of the knees.

3. therealnapster

2)i've never experienced it myself but this happens often with lifters. you can isolate the deltoid to make it stronger with front deltoid raises, side lat raises, and any other exercises you can come up with. it's all about isolation to make that muscle group stronger. it's obviously the weak point so when the deltoid is stronger, that is when you'll see improvements.

4. therealnapster

3) this is pretty common. i plateau often. are you changing up the exercises? are you straining as much in the other exercises as you are in bi's and tri's. are you spending as much time with the other muscle groups?

5. hootpie

hootpie New Member

It's only been 4 months...I wasn't expecting to hit a plateau until 6-7 months. I work out all my muscle groups fairly equally, but if anything, I hit the other groups harder.

6. lif

lif New Member

I have personal experience with 2.

Continue to use dumbells but do some rotator cuff work at the beginning of your exercise to warm up. It helps me immensely.

7. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

do some unilateral tri and front delt exercises

8. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

i find it more comfortable to have my grip, when deadlifting, further apart than "just outside the knees"

9. therealnapster

and your eating a lot too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.