a few questions about home surround sound systems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tk, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

alright, i got a kenwood 805dv, which includes reciever, 5 disk dvd/mp3 player, 5.1 surround 100 watts to each of the 5 speakers and 100 watts to the sub.

anyways... its brand new, and ive had it for a day. is it safe to leave a mp3 cd playing in it 24/7? what about just leaving it on over night while i sleep?

also, every time i shut off and turn on the reciever, i lose my audio settings that give more power / less power to certain speakers (like i have +6db to the rear channels and -4db to the center channel). i have to reset those options each time i turn on the system.

how loud is "loud enough" for the sub? i tested it out last night with Black Hawk Down and it sounded damn good, but id hate to blow the thing. i know it wasnt up too loud but im more of a car audio guy, so i dont know how much the little 8" sub can take. its at about 80% gain setting, +3db on the reciever, and volume ~-30db (-90db - 0db)

i think thats all my questions for now...

2. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

1) I've got twin 301 CD (and DVD) changers, in order to hear all my music I HAVE to leave it on 24/7 --- Currently running at 1/2 capacity, if it's on 'random' It doesn't even get to the second player for a week.
    0 problems

2) Are you completely cutting the power to the receiver or just turning it on/off? ---- I can't guess anything else as I suck with Kenwood

3) Depends on the quality of the sub and how much it can handle.

3. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

1) awsome, that makes me happy
    2) figured out that problem, i wasnt setting the audio settings correctly. i was just setting them manually without using their 'speaker setup' utility. now they save and its all good.
    3) i was listening yesterday and it was sounding good pretty loud, id just hate to fuck it up so early, ive only had it a couple days :)

4. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

if you want to set the levels properly you need a SPL meter and a test tone disc. Set your main volume to a pre-determined level, usually "0db", and then play the test tones for each channel, FR, FL, C, SR, SL, SUB, measuring the level on the SPL meter and adjusting the trims of each channel so they all read the exact same level on the meter.

If you don't want to spend the money on the meter then the best you can do is try to adjust it by ear (your receiver should have some built-in test tones to do this) and turn the sub up until you begin to hear distortion at the loudest volume you listen. Then back it down a bit from there.

5. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

Or skip the meter and the ear and buy a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi --- they set themselves :bowdown:

6. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

ya, im going to download the bass mechanic cd for the sub to test that at each frequency... i did the test tone for each speaker, as well as distance settings, but i reset the distance settings because it made it sound awkward. its jammin good right now, so ill leave it along until i get my rear speakers hung and the setup exactly how i want it. then ill have to do it again when i get it moved in my dorm room :sad2: