A few questions about HIIT

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by busydoingnothing, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I've been following the plan at http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp (30 seconds of jogging, 30 seconds of sprinting) and I'm up to 6 minutes this week. I swear, when I'm running, I feel like I'm gonna die, but I'm still pushing myself...

Anyhow, I had a few questions:

1. I do this first thing after I wake up (mid afternoon; I work late). I usually do a few stretches first, and walk around the track twice before starting. Is that enough of a warmup?
    2. I do this on an empty stomach. I typically go to bed around 5AM and at that point, I may have only had a light, healthy snack. When I'm running, my stomach is growling. Is that bad?
    3. My breathing technique may be inefficient because I'm always gasping for air. Any tips on improving this?
    For the record, I'm 24 and in pretty good shape (5'11", 165 lbs). Prior to HIIT I hadn't done much working out at all. Thanks in advance.

2. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

you should never perform highly demanding physical activity on an empty stomach.

3. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

in through your nose, out through your mouth

those breathe right strips are money if your nasal passages don't want to open all the way

4. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

eat a little bit of fruit beforehand if you're going to do cardio on a defecit like that.

5. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

and water... or some fruit juice. You need sugar & water in the morning, your body/brain doesn't work for shit without it.

6. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

Thanks guys. I'm gonna eat a little beforehand today and see how that goes.

7. cam0man

cam0man New Member

you might be starting a little too intense....

when I first started about 2 months ago, I did a 4 minute warm up of just walking, then 1 minute of walking/1 minute of jogging/1 minute of sprinting, then wrapped it all up with another 4 minutes of jogging after the intervals.

I was only doing 12 minutes when I started, now I'm up to 30 and shortening the walking periods to just 15 seconds.

Start slow and adjust acccordingly, you don't want end up discouraging yourself or hurting yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.