a few question about upgrading, my plans

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ryan112ryan, Jan 10, 2006.

1. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

this is what my comp looks right now (cover off)

[​IMG]

current specc: 2.8 GHz intel, 512 DDR RAM, 370 gigs, TV tuner and capture card, DVD burner

what im going to add:
    - 184 pin DIMM DDR PC2100 512 MB RAM
    - Radeon 9250 256MB AGP Video Card (for dual monitors)
    - move this all into a new case (if you have any case suggestions post a link)

so my questions are:

is there anyreason why i couldn't or would have problemes moving all this stuff to a new case? i can't think of why. all the configuration would stay right even if i pulled out some cards when the pwer was off

what is this connector for called? it goes here (on the mobo) one wire goes to the 8-in-one card reader, the other to USB/fire wire port on the front

[​IMG]

the power cord which runs to my hard drives is too short, can i buy extentions? what should i search to find them?

the power cord for the first and second HD are normal sized, but then at the very end there is another connector that is about half the size:
    [​IMG]

thanks for the help, if you have any case suggestions post a link

2. kYd

kYd New Member

Not sure on rest but number 2 im sure is called a USB header.
    It is used simply to allow extra USB ports for the front of the case. I cant see propley from the pics but the wires should be
    Red - Red (+5v)
    White - White (D-)
    Green - Green (D+)
    Black - Black (Ground)

edit: the mem. card reader is connected to it so you dont have to have an external wire going from it into a usb port

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

1) You'll be fine with a new case. Any will do and you shouldn't have any issues moving everything over.

2) See above.

3) You can buy a "Y" power cable connector which will give you a little bit of an extension and also add another power plug. (CompUSA, PC Warehouse, etc.. should have them.)

4) That's a power connector for a floppy drive.